What's new

Best Subwoofer for under $500 (1 Viewer)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I'm VERY curious about this Fosgate sub. I've never heard of Fosgate. Anyone else know anything about them or this sub?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Just curious - I have a Yamaha SW-5 10" subwoofer. Am I going to notice a big improvement if I went for that 12" Fosgate mentioned above? My room is approxiamtely 20X20 feet. This sub is strictly for movies, as well.

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
James
More information on Fosgate:
After approximately five years of absence in the home audio field, Rockford-Fosgate is spinning into the speciality audio field with their new Fosgate Audionics division. While Rockford-Fosgate has been known for many years in the mobile audio sector, the Fosgate Audionics division will concentrate on making top quality home audio and video products. It was over ten years ago that Rockford-Fosgate bought our the Hafler brand of home audio products and will soon be offering a 150 wpc. six-channel amplifier ($2,999) and a 200 wpc. five-channel unit ($2,499). As for pre-amplifier/processors, their new unit will decode Dolby Pro-Logic II, THX EX, DTS ES Discrete and Matrix decoding ($3,499). Tube audio buffs will likely look for their new, limited-edition vacuum-tube Dolby Pro Logic II surround processor ($7,499). Rounding out their new product will be four bookshelf speakers priced at up to $449 each plus three self-powered subwoofers priced as high as $899.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/0101/

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I would be somewhat suspicious of the low bass performance of the Fosgate subs given their size. With your budget and no size constraint, for HT a few options I believe you should consider are the SVS PCi, Adire Dharman, or a DIY/custom built Tempest.

The reasons: a larger box volume allows higher efficiency at low frequencies, allowing more clean output below 30Hz without requiring EQ circuits and expensive amplifiers. These subs have proven drivers with high linear displacement... and appropriate porting to take full advantage of the amp/driver down to tuning (16-22Hz). I doubt most of the other options could match the large subs... especially the Tempest (believe me, it's really something).

A really good deep sub is different from most other commercial options under $600 (doesn't sound as loud, for one thing), but you'll appreciate that difference.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
The thing about that Fosgate is that it usually sells for $700, and now as a "fall special" it's being sold for only $300. So they are temporarily dropping the price by $400?
For some reason that makes me a little suspicous. It sounds like such an incredible deal and incredible deals always make me a little suspicous, at least at first.
I don't doubt that in your expericence it has been a great sub, Marvin, I just wish I had more to go by, maybe more reviews. Have you heard other subs you could compare it to?

Thanks for all the information guys. It gives me a lot of things to look at. I think I might end up going with either the Velodyne 15, since I have a large room or an SVS, because of their reputation. It's a hard decision to make though.

Once again, thanks for all the informative replies.

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
James
My only problem with that Fosgate sub is it is awefully small. Tough to fit sufficient porting with a low tune for a capable 12" driver in a 50L enclosure.
That may be true...I'm not in the position to evaluate (or defend) the FA 12.0 based on its size or any of the technical specifications. Mike and Dustin obviously are very knowledgeable about the performance requirements of a "good subwoofer". I find it odd that the designers of the FA12.0 would not take the "size/performance ratio" into account when the sub was in the design phase, hey, but what do I know? The FA12.0 seemed to be adequate for professional applications. That also indicates to me that product reliability probably won't be an issue (or at least I hope not). I could compare it to a Velodyne or some other brand, but I have found such variables as room acoustics, crossover settings and sub placement can skew a subs performance once it leaves the showroom. Nevertheless, I suspect the low pricing structure of the FA12.0 is an attempt by Fosgate Audionics to "spin into the specialty audio field".

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
That Rockford for 299.00 is out of stock. He said they might get more in next week. The guy told me that "Woofdale" subs are very similar in performance and price. Sound and Vision has done write-ups about them supposedly.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
On another note, my SVS 2531PC+ came today. Damn this thing looks menacing! I wish my speakers were here, but not until Tuesday!!!!

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
you can find a velodyne cht-12 online for under $400.
never heard it, but i have heard the cht-8 and it sounded great.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
3 things you don't argue over,1-religion 2-politics 3- speakers.
Saying that since you are on a budget don't look for the one that goes the lowest or the one that is the loadest. Find one thats flat to about 40 hz and one that is as low on distortion, nothing is worse than a "boomy" box that always lets you know it's there. I don't believe in seperating speakers for HT or music qualitys, distortion is distortion whether it is a bomb dropping or JWs "Bird On A Wire".
A good tight 10 inch can be had from most of the brands you would consider (Velodyne, Paridigm, Definitive, even Klipsh NO BOSE). Take one home, try it out, I think you will be amazed.
Some of those big cheap boxes can not be made to sound right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks