What's new

Best Subwoofer for under $500 (1 Viewer)

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Jason Need some information.

What are you looking for, HT only a mix of HT & Music?

What is your room size? not just your listening area.
To find that multiply the width by length by height.

This will give you a cubic volume.

Do you have any space or WAF limitations?

All important things to know.

Joe Wyant

Grip
I like the Velodyne CHT-120. I got mine at Circuit City for under $500 including a 5 year warranty. The sound is amazing!

Micheal,

I'm looking mainly for an HT sub. Size isn't really an issue as I have a lot of room to work with. The room is nice and square at 2800 cubic feet.

I'd like to stay under $500-$600 if possible but am willing to spend more on quality if need be.

With some many brands I'd like to try and get it right the first time.

Thanks,
Jason

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Mainly HT, size not a issue and $600 or under. You imo sound like a good candidate for a Velo cht 15". I bought a ct 15" demo for $375 with the two year warranty and a new ct 15" for $499. Dealers will deal. There are many good subs out there though that will serve your needs very well. They are mentioned on the forum daily.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
IMO the best you can do around $500 is DIY. If size isn't an issue a Tempest in a 220L+ enclosure tuned to under 20hz with a 6" port and a 250W plate amp will dust anything you can buy commercially for $500. You should be able to complete a Tempest sub for ~$400. Provided you don't have to buy any tools.
Other than that, my picks would be the SVS 20-39 or 25-31 PCi ($550 and $600). Or the Adire Dharman ($600).
Oh another DIY option that is very neat is the infinite baffel. If you did some deal hunting for an amp you could get 4 Parts Express 15" IB drivers and an amp to power them within your budget. I don't think there is a commercial sub this design would take a back seat to in sound quality, and with 4 of them you'd have some serious output capability. Everything you ever wanted to know about an IB sub is on this page and the links at the top to an FAQ and pics of installs.
http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Let me get this straight.....your budget is around 5-600....you primarily are into HT....hmmmm.....that's easy.....SVS! The SVS 20-39 PCi would be a very very satisfying sub for years to come (assuming you don't get crazy with it). If you suffer from upgrade-itis, get this sub and you'll be able to relax. It's amazing!

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
Jason
2800 cubic feet is a nice size room. With a space that big, I think you are going to want to look at something with a 15” driver. That is not to discount some 12” driver sub-woofers. They can work in a room that size, but if you are looking for the full feel of the explosions and what from a movie, you are going to want to move some air.
From Velodyne you have the CHT-15 and CHT-12
SVS are rated very highly, you will need to contact them as they have a number of options you can choose from
The HSU subs are well received.
I have yet to see or hear one, but the earthquake subs has some ardent followers
Infinity, polk, Klipsch and Definitive Technology also have subs that are in your price range.
If you are interested in building a sub, a number of good kits are available.
Or if you relly wanted too you could get one of these
A big Sub

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
If you don't Diy, SVS, HSU, Adire, or PartsExpress then I would also advise contacting Rutledge, Stryke, or Kyle (find them in the Advanced Diy section on this site) and they should be able to come out with a custom sub in this price range that should easily blow away the Velodyne CHT 15 (I've heard this sub, a good product but unfortunately has some very serious competition in it's price range from the online dealers, mainly due to the quality drivers availible).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Axiom used to charge a restocking fee, don't know if that has changed. Don't assume an in-home demo with return is FREE.

Curt Gilker

Agent
Silly me, I didn't know Fosgate made home theater speakers!

Does anyone have any experience with Fosgate Audionics subs? The FA 12.0 seems like a great sub according to the specs, and the price is unbeatable. Any user notes, good or bad?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My only problem with that Fosgate sub is it is awefully small. Tough to fit sufficient porting with a low tune for a capable 12" driver in a 50L enclosure.

Marvin E

Stunt Coordinator
I own two Fosgate Audionics FA 12.0 subs. I believe it is the same model as the Fosgate/Hafler TRM12.1, the professional studio model. The FA 12.0 is good for both home theater and music. It blends well my Aethna Technologies AS-F2 Tower Speakers. Very tight; however, this is my opinion...it is relatively new and there are no reviews at this point. I purchased my first FA 12.0 based on the Fosgate reputation and my second FA 12.0 because I was so impressed with it.
I did find a review of the Fosgate/Hafler TRM10S which is a powered sub with a 10" ported woofer:
http://www.proaudioreview.com/par/no...fler-web.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks