Best Subwoofer Brands

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JohMabe, Sep 28, 2003.

1. JohMabe

JohMabe Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to buy a subwoofer for less than $500,00, and I'm considering brands like Velodyne, and even Infinity. Is there any other brands you would recommend, or even specific subwoofer models.

2. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

boy...that's a wideopen question. i'll say for a few bucks more i would go with a entry-level SVS, but i am obviously biased...PB2+[​IMG]

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

paradigm pdr12, velodyne cht series, hsu and svs.

4. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Hsu VTF-2 $499 w/ free shipping [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. JamesKr

JamesKr Agent

6. JohMabe

Velodyne is more accessible to me here in Brazil. I'll definately check the HSU though...

7. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The JBL S120II did very well in recent HT mag and Tom Nousaine reviews and It is on line

8. JohMabe

I was checking the local stores, and considering price ranges and availability, the two choices shall be narrowed to the JBL S120II and the Velodyne CHT-10. Considering the JBL is 400w and the Velodyne CHT-10, which one is better for my needs? Considering also that I had a JBL S310-II and never really liked those speakers... but who knows, the subwoofer may be a good one...

9. Joel McIntosh

I hope you will give some weight to the suggestions for the HSU VTF-2. I went through a couple of subwoofers this summer (including the CHT-12), and finally settled on the VTF-2. It really offered a level of clarity of bass and power that, to my ear, was unique in the $500 and below category. I was disappointed with other subs in this category because they sounded boomy. I got so frustrated with this that I posted about the trouble on this forum. Several people suggested that the problem was placement, room accoustics, furnature placement, blaugh, blaugh, blaugh. As soon as I tried out the VTF-2, the boomyness was not an issue -- crystal clear bass. At this point I'm a big fan of the VTF-2 who comes by his enthusiasm honestly. The VTF-2 must be purchased directly from Hsu Research -- they don't have dealers.

10. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Dont forget SVS as well which are good woofers just as HSU. But I think you guys may be missing this persons problem. He lives in Brazil... I have no idea what shipping + duty + import tax is if any and that possibly is why he is not considering buying internet.

11. Robert*V

Robert*V Auditioning

What about the Adire Audio Rava? $399, small, but great reviews. I have one on order.

12. JohMabe

I would die to put my hands on one of the HSU. But to do that, I'd have to create a mailbox in the US (U$47,00), pay S&H (U$50,00) and taxes (60% overall). Then it wouldn't be the under $500,00 best sub, it would be the $1000,00 subwoofer...

13. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

What brands are available to you locally?

14. JohMabe

There is JBL (alot), Infinity, Acoustic Research, Polk, Velodyne, and with luck, Dynaudio, B&W, JMLab. But the latter are high-end, so very expensive. The mainstream brands available are those first, and only some models are available...

15. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Of the brands easily available to you I'd look at the Velodyne CHT series or the JBL S120. Try to audition both of them to see which you like better then pick the one that you like best.

16. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Why not diy, this way you can buy the wood in your area, and buy a quality driver (such as the Shiva for example) and have sub that should easily outgun what's locally availible and should be somewhat affordable (half your cost should be the driver due to shipping, taxes, etc).

17. JohMabe

Well, if I want either the Velodyne CHT-12 (U$580,00), or the JBL S120 PII ($480,00), I'll have to order them, so I won't be able to audition and compare both. I was wondering what you guys had to say about them...

18. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

19. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Johmabe> I just sent you a PM on a AV15 sub I have for sale. You should give it a look. It will out perform any sub mentioned in this Thread hands-down minus the PB2+. It is very big but it is what is needed to have the performance you desire.

I can send you pics if you like?

20. JohMabe

Steve, What is the brand of the AV15?