What's new

Best subwoofer <=$200? (1 Viewer)

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Really though, I can imagine that you'd be hard-pressed to find other subwoofers at this price point that produce such focused and loud bass down to such low levels. There's only slight rolloff down to 25 hz. Not bad for $125! And if you wait a while it will go on sale for $110 or so. I got mine back when they would go on sale for $99. Now THAT'S a deal.

I guess I should have asked though, what size is the room where you'll be using the sub?

brad cook

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor

You need a pretty good sub to fill a room that size. You're not going to get it with $200. I would really start looking at $600 subs.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator

That's quite a subjective statement. My room is 14x18 w/ 9 foot ceilings and my Dayton does a great job in there. I'll probably add a second one down the road but it still sounds awesome and is not lacking in ability to fill the room IMO. If you're used to SVS and whatnot it might seem lacking but ask any other Dayton owners and they will probably say the same as me.

Either way if someone is asking what's the best sub for under $200 then "look at $600 subs" doesn't answer the question.

brad cook

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Dayton fo' sho.

I've got mine in the dormer on my 10'x12' room (dormer is not part of the dimension). I can drive it to deafening volumes and it doesn't break a sweat. If it's placed properly and is calibrated you will get useable output down to 25Hz (possibly lower). At 25Hz in my room I get about 73dB of output (receiver's volume set to read 75dB at 100Hz on my meter.. 73dB is the 25Hz corrected value). My sitting position is 12' from the sub.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Well, if you have something other than your primary receiver to power the sub with, a good used passive sub will work wonderfully, such as one from SVS, HSU, or VMPS.

Kevin G.

Second Unit

I wholeheartedly agree Brad, Mine's in a 15' x 21' room and produces some heavy tight bass.
When I throw on LOTR TTT @ the Balrog or Battle of the Hornbug, I get chills!!!!!
And in ROTK Final battle with the giant elephant thingies... WHOOOOha

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
I own the dayton and use it in a 13 by 17 room. It is really good. I like it as much on music as I do on movies. I got it during a 99$ sale but think it is absolutely worth the 30$ more. From what I have heard it beats anything else, by a mile, at it's price point. I like it better than the sonys and JBL (YMMV). That said,I am still going to upgrade in the next year.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
So is the Dayton better than the 10" JBL and Velodyne subs? I am in the same position and wonder which one will perform the best. The JBL has a digital amp. I could care less about the barand, just performance.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Have seen the JBL e150 for 155 and the Velodyne cht-(?) for 175. Both are 10". Compared with the Dayton, which is the best performing sub?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks