Best sub when mounted in corner bookshelf

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomL, Sep 6, 2001.

1. TomL

TomL Extra

Aug 31, 2001
    I've "heard" many great things about SVS subs in this forum, but in order to meet the WAF requirements, I'm building a full-wall cabinet to enclose everything, with the sub enclosure in a bottom corner. With this setup, it sounds like the SVS is not the way to go, perhaps a front-firing sub would be better? My room is 12 by 24 with a 9 foot ceiling, using a Marantz SR7200 receiver and bookshelf speakers (haven't decided which ones yet, maybe norh?), 70% theater, 30% music. Budget for the sub is around $650. What subs do you recommend for this price point and cabinet configuration?
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Feb 20, 2000
    Now,will the sub be covered by doors?If not,I do not see any reason why svs would not work,just give it 3 or 4 inches all the way around to breath,especially on top.
    They truely are remarkable subs and for the money you simply cannot go wrong.Heck,I am just feeding my 25-31cs from an old 70wpc dpl reciever and it pounds the crud out of my chest.
    My dvd collection
  3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Aug 22, 2001
    Ideally a sealed box design sub may be the way to go. Least chance of the entertainment center colouring the sound.
    Next best would be front firing with front ports.
    Energy has their S8.2 tiny sub with front port.
    All the Axiom subs are front ported too.
  4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    Welcome Marc.
    Who says the sub has to go IN the entertainment center? How do you know the spot you have already chosen is the optimum spot for any given sub? I would say there are far more considerations than "will it fit in the entertainment center".
    Relative to what you are asking though, I would have to agree with Marc that a sealed sub will probably work best in that setup, followed by a front firing, ported design.
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)