Best Sub under $200? (For Father)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I know I know, it is a little cheep, but my father is cheep, heh.
    Please help! I finally got him to buy a decient Onkyo 595 Receiver, and now he would like a Sub. I have tried and tried and still no SVS [​IMG]
    OK, you wonderful people that have never let me down... What is the best sub under $200? He might be able to go $50 more if there is a big difference, but still unsure. Thanks for all the help!!!

2. Steve WC

Steve WC Stunt Coordinator

Sony SA-WM40.

See Review at

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Is DIY an option (if you or your father have the tools, building a sub is a great father/son project)? If it is the Dayton DVC 12" and a 250 watt plate amp are on sale at Parts Express for $100 each. Add another $50-$100 for construction and finishing materials and it should be possible to match the performance of a Paradigm PW2200 with it.

If your interested, head over to the DIY forum and we'll help you come up with an allignment and answer any question you have with the build process.

4. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

I've heard alot of good things about Sony's SA-WM40, you could check that out. Good luck!

Armen

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

If it was my dad, I would take him to a showroom and sit him down to watch some HT applications using the Sony and some subs in the range of $700-800. If he said, "Son, that Sony sounds fine to me," I'd tell him to buy it, but, if he said, "Wow! That $750 job sure was a lot better," I'd walk away with him and point out he could get something comparable, if not better, with the Adire Rava or Hsu VTF-2. I think the Rava is $399 and I got my Hsu, new and fully warrantied, at Ebay for $390. Then, I'd tell him that buying factory direct would be a steal because of the substantial savings resulting from direct to consumer purchases. He'd get the sound he'd want and still feel he was being thrifty.

6. dean_g

dean_g Agent

7. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

I have the Sony and it's very capable once you callibrate it. I didn't callibrate it when I got it and you don't realize how much air these things are really moving until you get the meter out and turn the thing down.

Prior to callibration, I knew it was there, and it was boomy and horrible sounding. After callibration, you can't really hear it as a discreet component because the sound is well-integrated and it's much better. I have the sub placed on a 45 degree angle in the front right corner of fairly large room with lots of openings including one of the long walls, and it's really quite good to my ears and bones, but I have no current basis for comparison until my Dharman arrives.

Prior to callibration I had my receivers s/w out set to +0 db, and the volume on the s/w around the 1/2 way point. After callibration, I have the rcvr s/w out set to -5db and the s/w volume around the 30% setting.

For under $200, I think that's your only viable option for something "new" if you don't want to go DIY. I think it's a pretty good option.

-David

8. Steve G

Steve G Agent

I think the Sony SAWM40 is without a doubt the best $200 you can spend. And getting it for $150 is not that unusual. Good luck.

Steve

9. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

you might be able to luck out at ebay and find a nice velodyne for pennies on the dollar (more like dimes on the dollar, but still great)

10. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I have to agree with David. Spend the time to callibrate your dad's new sub just right after he decides on which one to purchase. My new Hsu sounded powerful, but, like David's Sony, very boomy out of the box. After making all the necessary adjustments and playing pipe organ music for hours/days on end to break it in, it is sooooooo much more musical, meaning the bass is much tighter and carries a melodic line much more cleanly. A whole new creature altogether. By doing this, your dad will never regret the purchase, at least in my opinion.