Best sub Period.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan J, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

If money was no option.....like if you had a billion dollars, what is the top of the line, best sub on the market?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Commercial or does this include DIY?

Huge infinite baffel or dipole sub using many drivers custom made for the purpose by a major driver manufacturer.

Or get a driver custom made and build a huge bass horn.

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I think the BOSE subwoofer is the best. Small, plastic and very lightweight.

4. Nathan J

I seriously hope you're joking........
    If not....you should be BANNED hahahahahah J/K[​IMG]

5. Michael J. C.

Michael J. C. Auditioning

Let's say commercial...

The highest end ones I even know about are the Martin Logan Descent and the Velodyne HGS-18.

I'm sure that if you want to spend a Billion dollars though, someone will have a "better" one to sell you.

What does the spoiler tag do?

Oh! wow! That's cool!

6. Nathan J

I have never heard either of those, although I have heard the $3000 B&W and the $3000 McIntosh.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well in that case there are stupidly priced ones like the Wilson XS (I think around $30,000USD) and Krell MRS (around $20,000USD).
    http://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/xs/index.html
    http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_MRS.html must be redoing the site as there is pretty much nothing of value on the page.
    But I'd be looking at ServoDrive over these two if I had a lot of money to spend. With multiples of either their servo drive subs (this isn't like the servo in a Paradigm or Velodyne sub) or the big bass horns they make.

8. TonyTran

TonyTran Auditioning

Sunfire subs are pretty nice and $$

9. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Should be a fun and lenghty thread.[​IMG] I think we should only mention subs we've heard or auditioned since we may never come up with anything conclusive. Hmmm.. I have heard the ML and HGS18, B&W 4000, REL Stadium II(I think)Servo 15 and they all have great qualities and it may come down to price, line loyalty, integration or other specifics. I still am thrilled with my SVS 22-31 though for my room and I am sure the Ultra could hold its on with the top models out there regardless of price.

10. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Perhaps the best subwoofer iI have heard is the Wilson Watch dog, which retails for approx. $10,000 U.S.

11. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

ServoDrive BassTech 7 horn (doesn't go too deep though, maybe 28Hz) or Contrabass.

Otherwise, I think after the Wilson XS, and maybe some other absurdly large subs, the SVS CS-Ultras would be up there.

DIY? Sky's the limit.

12. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the mention of our products. Actually, two BassTech7s loaded into a corner would produce some silly bass levels down to the mid 20s, and depending on the size of the room, possibly useable response a good bit deeper with some EQ. If the room was HUGE I would do BassTech7s crossed over to ContraBasses, but in general you are better off just going with multiple Contras. 2-4 ContraBasses will provide all the clean output anyone would need down to 14-15Hz. In a recent installation one of my custom installers did, 4 ContraBasses with 2 Crown K2s were used in a BIG room. When demo'd for others, a few have asked if there were bass shakers in each seat or if there were surround subs all over. Of course it was "just" the ContraBasses. [​IMG]
    Do note that in average to modest size rooms, you really should have an EQ on a ContraBass as it usually overdrives the bottom end when combined with the transfer function of the room.
    Regards,

13. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I think that space would likely become a limiting factor before the billion $ ran out.

14. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

I would have to go with a dual SS package (or a similar custom designed package) from the boys at SVS.
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_ss.htm
    Yeah, I believe it's gotta be that good. I own a CS_Ultra--I am constantly impressed, and awestruck when they say that the SS improves even more on the CS_U. Incredible.
    [​IMG]
    Andy

15. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Andy,

Well maybe not for a "billion dollars" but I don't know of a commercially available, turn-key subwoofer system that would provide more clean, accurate bass for under what most of us here would consider a "sane" amount of money for subwoofers.

There's not a doubt in my mind a full SS system (i.e. Crown K1, twin SS subs, Rane PE17) would be more than competitive to the Wilson or Krell systems however. What we don't put into "billet aluminum" cases we put into components that matter ;^) Still, in this price class (say $20K and up) customers are less after performance than appearances/prestige I think? I hope no one faults us too much for charging "only" $5K for the package in question.

Either way you don't begrudge anyone for spending more for something unique and attractive. Just don't kid yourself on the idea "you get what you pay for", when you are into the "silly amount" of money on ANY HT component.

Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. Usually it doesn't matter when you spend enough.

Ron

16. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

best sub is rather vague, isn't it? my dual NHT subtwoi's go louder and deeper than I can tolerate without any audible stain or distortion, and however loud it is, they sound like they will pound tight and clean for much louder still.

So, if I can't use the limits of what I have, how can it get USEFULLY better? Its like how does it matter if you have $15 or $60, if you can only ever spend $3.

17. Jon Sciabica

Jon Sciabica Agent

18. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

19. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

The SVS flagships look fantastic. Also, check out http://www.huffloudspeaker.com; I've heard good things about his subs. It might be worth looking at the subs A rated by stereophile (wilson, etc.)

20. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Best sub I've heard is Bruce Edgar's Seismic basshorn. ContraBass runs close. Next are my twin JBL 4648 theater bassbins with wall placement and a little EQ. Nothing else I've heard comes close to these 3 things though I imagine there are some DIY subs with cost and volume no object that would compare.
    www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org