best sub for under $150?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by VinceL, Dec 31, 2005.

1. VinceL

VinceL Auditioning

I just recently bought a whole bunch of stuff, and I pretty much have the whole system setup, but I'm missing a sub, and i'm almost out of budget, so I was just wondering if there are any good subs that can be had for under $150?? I do plan to upgrade in the future to something better, but for now I just need something 'that will do'. I don't need anything good, but it has to be enough for a casual movie night, preferably an 8 or 10" sub. Futureshop had on sale a JBL PB8 sub that went for $29.99 Canadian, but sold out within minutes. They do have these Quest subs that go for around $79 and $99 for the 8" and 10" models, but I've never heard of them. I don't want to spend it and regret it. Any other recommendations?

THanks

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I really like my Sony 8", 100 watt sub.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Most people suggest the Parts Express Dayton 10" or 12" in this price range.

4. VinceL

VinceL Auditioning

there's an Advent ASW1200 12" powered sub also at Parts Express, that's going for $99. Anyone have experience with this one?

5. VinceL

VinceL Auditioning

also, a lot of these subwoofers have a 4-ohm impedance, and I've always heard that your speakers should be the same impedance? Mine are already a mix of 6 and 8 ohm speakers, but I'm not sure if my receiver can take 4 ohms...or is it different for subs? I am hooking it up to a Denon AVR 1706

thanks!

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Vince,

Welcome to the forum.

You'll probably buy a powered sub and then the impedance is of no relevance to you, because it's fed by its own (built in) amplifier.

Cees