What's new
World Wide Stereo

Best sub for under 1000$ (1 Viewer)

mofet_n

Grip
Hey!!! This is my first message on HT forum, so I hope someone will help me out:) Anyways, I would like to add a second subwoofer to my system, which is:
HK AVR 525
Sony DVPNS-715p
Polk audio Rti70 front speakers
Polk audio R50 for back
Polk audio csi40 center chan.
Polk audio psw202 sub

So anyways, I thought of Velodyne CHT-12 or Boston PV 800.
I work at Future Shop, so if I go with the Velodyne, I'll get it for under 600 (tax in + a 9 year warr.) The Boston (750 + tax) sounded very nice, but the Velodyne is better in specs. What would you recommend?

HT forum kicks *ss!!!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

george king

Supporting Actor
have Brian at Link Removed build you a custom sub that will outperform the one's on your list for less money.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If they stock the bigger CHT-15, go for that instead of the 12. Better yet, get a pair of the 15s and stack them in the best corner of the room...and offer the little polk to a good friend/family member in need :)

Tom V.
SVS

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
I have a HSU VTF-2 that I really like. It is actually a bit too much sometimes and I have it turned almost all the way down. When I turn it up the bass becomes overwhelming, and I have to re-align the pictures ohung on my wall because it shakes the house so much.

Many others seem to like the SVS subs, and I have also seen good reviews on Velodyne subs too.

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
best sub under 1000.00 .............um mine :D
B-stock 16-46pc plus. $862.79 delivered to my door, with a free hernia for the UPS driver;)

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
If you go to cgi.audiogon.com and do a search on Infinity. You will find somebody who has (4) band new Infinity HPS1000 subs for sale still in the box. He is aksing well under $1,000 and when comparing specs, this is a sub that is 1000 watts of power, that goes down to 17HZ, and has a host of controls that allow you to tweak it. Specs aside, mine is the most dynamic, deep, crisp, sharp, chest pounding sub I have ever heard. Sure, I know I am biased as I own one. But I did go through a few others including a Velodyne before I settled on this monster. It was years ahead of its time, and easily competes with today's newest crop. Weighs in at around 100lbs and looks great as well. I will now climb down off my soap box and go back to work, but you should check it out.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
SVS 20-39PC-Plus $825 + about $35 shipping. Although the exchange rate and various excise fees and such might push it well over $1000 by the time it hits your door. Maybe another Canadian can comment on this.

Mark gas

Second Unit
$860 us will be around $1720 can all said and done, but I think it will be more than $35 bux to ship to Canada.

I would go DIY or get brian to make you one. :D

mofet_n

Grip
Wow! Thanks so much. SVS is way over my limite, so I'll be looking more into the HSU VTF-2 and B-stock subs. I might call a friend of mine who is a sales rep for HK/Infinity. He might hook me up with an Infinity sub for probably half the regular price. Thank you Albert Damico for bringing Infinity up, I will sure to check them out now.

Thanks again!

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Tom doesn't have to recommend his own products, because everyone else does it for him. :) I'd suggest SVS and custom built options as well (they can be done for well under your $1000 budget).

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
For Movies: SVS (slam factor)

For Music: 1.) ACI 2.) Adire

For all around bang for buck with *NO* compromises: AThena ASP400

My recommendation: ACI--The REAL DEAL

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second Tom's suggestion and go for the Velo CHT-15.

I would also suggest the SVS PCi series or PB1, but I don't know if you could get any of them shipped to you for under $1000 Canadian.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
My recommendation: ACI--The REAL DEAL
I have to go with David on this one. My ACI Titan is the best music sub I have heard in my system, period. A little over your budget, but it's smaller brother, the Force uses the same electronics with a smaller driver. Only 3db less in output. I'm sure it's a winner even though I have never heard it.

Elliot_W

Agent
In Canada, eh?

Well, SVS and HSU will blow ya out of your budget (I considered it)...The HSU VTF-2 at current sales price will be just under $1K CAD, and the SVS PCi25-31 will come in around $1 080 CAD (taxes, shipping, etc included...no duty because of NAFTA).

I'd go with Canadian subs - easily the best value for us given the more favourable domestic pricing....

Paradigm PW2200 ($750 CAD + tax)
PSB Subsonic 7 ($800 CAD + tax) (I got one off of ebay for $700)

The other alternative is the Adire Rava ($750 CAD all in incl. tax), only b/c there is a Canadian distributor (creativesound.ca). But for the same $$$, I'd go with the PSB Sub 7 (awesome amp and 15" driver in sealed design - Q prob. not as low as the Rava, but it goes down to 18-20Hz).

Not sure the Velo CHT series would be as good (now, the SPL....)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
There's now a kit on the creative sound site similar to the EZ Sub14 I built with the tempest and DT300 amp that's going for $469US or $679Cdn :emoji_thumbsup:

link

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettKarina
Recent bookmarks