1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Sub for the Money

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Thomas, May 25, 2002.

1. Dean Thomas

Dean Thomas Auditioning

I recently purchased a Paradigm speaker system for my mother (front, center, rear). I am now looking for the sub. Her room is very big (20x30x20). I was looking at the Paradigm PW-2200, but it sure is expensive at $670. Is there a better/equivalent sub out there for a little less money for her?

The SVS system won't work due to the height. She is going to put it in a cabinet and open the door during play. I know she is going to screw up the acoustics, but oh well. A front firing sub would work best in this condition, right?

Please help fellas....

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

The most bang for the buck, as I learned just this week, is a diy sub. You can get double the performance of the paradigm for half the price. This isn't a knock on the Paradigm. That's what sold to go diy. I loved the Paradigm but it can't touch my diy sub performance wise and was double the cost with the diy ringing in at a little over $300.

3. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

My vote fir sub under $500.
    Adire Rava - $400
    Hsu VTF2 - $450
    VMPS New Orig - $500 (if you have an amp lying around...)
    For your mom? Becareful of what you wish for [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Nico

4. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

Maybe a Paradigm PS1200 ?

Bob

5. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Wow, 20 foot ceilings? The math works out to 12,000 cu/ft! Her room is huge. It would probably take a pair of subs. But since it is your mother, maybe just one [​IMG] I like my Rava but I'm not sure about a single Rava in that large of a room. For that matter, I'm not sure about a single VTF2 or 3, or PW2200 either. Will this be used for mostly music or HT?

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Sorry Bob, but I have to strongly disagree. I've never heard a bandpass sub I liked. The PS series are bandpass designs. I wouldn't go anywhere near them. Especially at their US pricing. In Canada (provided you get a pretty descent discount) for a HT only system they could be argued to be acceptable performs through.

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

If you contact Kyle Richardson at www.acoustic-visions.com I believe he can put together the equivalent of an Adire Dharman (without veneer) for south of $500. That is with him building it, not you. For her needs, and with the large room, that is what I would go for, or else the Hsu VTF-2.