Best Sub for the Money

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Thomas, May 25, 2002.

1. Dean Thomas

Dean Thomas Auditioning

I recently purchased a Paradigm speaker system for my mother (front, center, rear). I am now looking for the sub. Her room is very big (20x30x20). I was looking at the Paradigm PW-2200, but it sure is expensive at $670. Is there a better/equivalent sub out there for a little less money for her?

The SVS system won't work due to the height. She is going to put it in a cabinet and open the door during play. I know she is going to screw up the acoustics, but oh well. A front firing sub would work best in this condition, right?

Please help fellas....

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

The most bang for the buck, as I learned just this week, is a diy sub. You can get double the performance of the paradigm for half the price. This isn't a knock on the Paradigm. That's what sold to go diy. I loved the Paradigm but it can't touch my diy sub performance wise and was double the cost with the diy ringing in at a little over $300.

3. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

My vote fir sub under $500.
    Adire Rava - $400
    Hsu VTF2 - $450
    VMPS New Orig - $500 (if you have an amp lying around...)
    For your mom? Becareful of what you wish for [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Nico

4. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

Maybe a Paradigm PS1200 ?

Bob

5. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Wow, 20 foot ceilings? The math works out to 12,000 cu/ft! Her room is huge. It would probably take a pair of subs. But since it is your mother, maybe just one [​IMG] I like my Rava but I'm not sure about a single Rava in that large of a room. For that matter, I'm not sure about a single VTF2 or 3, or PW2200 either. Will this be used for mostly music or HT?

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Sorry Bob, but I have to strongly disagree. I've never heard a bandpass sub I liked. The PS series are bandpass designs. I wouldn't go anywhere near them. Especially at their US pricing. In Canada (provided you get a pretty descent discount) for a HT only system they could be argued to be acceptable performs through.

7. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

If you contact Kyle Richardson at www.acoustic-visions.com I believe he can put together the equivalent of an Adire Dharman (without veneer) for south of $500. That is with him building it, not you. For her needs, and with the large room, that is what I would go for, or else the Hsu VTF-2.