Best sub for hybrids

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Doug Fogle, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Doug Fogle

Doug Fogle Stunt Coordinator

Okay.both svs and Hsu seem to make great subs and I'm not trying to cause a "mine is better" flame war.But does either of these have an advantage when linked with ribbons?i.e. is one "faster" and thus better able to mesh?Hsu mentions on their website they match well with ribbons,which is why I ask.because I'm leaning towards the 25=pc 31+ right now.

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have read the same.

I think this is going to end up being a "try it out for yourself" deal. I understand that ribbons are tough to deal with all the way around.

3. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Doug, SVS and Hsu subs will sound great (especially the larger ones) but for the best sound quality to match with ribbons, you could consider a sealed or dipole subwoofer. Are your speakers dipoles? What kind are they? And how much output do you want?

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The thread title says these are "hybrids", is there a sealed, monopole woofer built in? If so, then you're not not mating a sub to ribbons but, rather, to another dynamic woofer. In either case, none of the SVS or Hsu models is anything like the mass-market dreck often palmed off as "subwoofers", and any should be "fast" enough (bass is slower than the rest, of course). You might also find a nice sealed sub suitable depending on system use and volume needs. The best I've heard of these you can make yourself for less than any of the options above.

5. Doug Fogle

Doug Fogle Stunt Coordinator

They have two 6'' aluminium woofers and ribbon tweeter and are not dipole.

6. Michael R Price

Ah, nevermind, that is not a problem more than any regular speaker. Any good vented or sealed subwoofer will be quite satisfying.

I do recall people with big Magnepans or other full range dipoles saying the bass quality isn't improved enough with a typical subwoofer, though.

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

8. Michael R Price

I'm thinking about making one of those H-frames with a couple cheapo PE woofers, myself. But I don't have dipole speakers. The funny thing is if I had a dipole sub, it wouldn't extend as deep as my main speakers without EQ. [​IMG]

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

10. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Just as Jack mentions, when a dipole sub is properly built and set up it can give you incredibly nice sounding bass at the expense of a fairly large "enclosure" and higher driver expense.

11. Curt C

Curt C Agent

For years I've had great luck using sealed box subs with ribbons, Maggies and other dipole speakers. Currently I'm using a Velodyne HGS-15 crossed over at 50hz to Maggie 1.6's. This is in a large open area and sounds fantastic. I also tried the 1.6's in a small room with the Velodyne SPL-1200, same great sound. It's hard to beat a sealed box for clean accurate bass and servo (done right) sure keeps distortion down. You might want to try several designs and see what you think.
    Curt

12. Michael R Price

Jack, that is why by "cheapo PE woofers" I meant 2 of the Quatro 15's or four PA woofers (someone made a pair of push-pull dipoles with them... 0.67 Qts, 6mm Xmax, and 26Hz Fs for $40) and I would not choose a baffle with less than 24" in front-to-back distance. Additionally, I've read some articles suggesting the effective "Fequal" cutoff of a dipole may be at a lower frequency than predicted by Linkwitz and others. That would explain the deep results claimed by many dipole users, although I do not understand the physics causing these effects. My math suggests one of those systems would be good for a respectable 100db at 30Hz. The application is music only - no TV yet!

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer