What's new

Best sub for Athena speakers (1 Viewer)

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
My friend and his wife have decided they like the Athena .5 series (with s.1 as fronts) and are looking for a $300-$400 sub. The sub they heard at Video Only was a Velodyne CHT-10 for $399. How does this sub compare to other subs in this price range (Paradigm...and others).

Thanks.

Jon_Wh

Auditioning
Hi David,
I believe the Point 5 system offered by Athena does include a sub, the P.5.
Are you referring to a setup based upon the SCT line? If so the S1, S2, and S3 are designed to have a P1, P2, or P3 subwoofer phsically attached. You can find more details in this review http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/athena/index.html.
I recently was in the market for a $300-400 sub but realized that for a little more money, I could get a much more powerful sub. I looked closely at HSU and SVS and elected to go with a 20-39 PCi from SVS.

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
Video Only didn't carry the Athena Sub line so I was not able to hear it with those subs. How do they compare?

I would also tell my friends to sink the extra $100 or so to get a better sub but they will not. I know the SVS subs are out as his wife would not tolerate the design.

Jon_Wh

Auditioning
I have not personally heard the SCT series. They have however gotten rave reviews. I did not personally consider the SCT series because I did not need or want the ability to attach subwoofers to bookshelfs.

SVS is about to release boxed subs so if waiting is an option, they may wish to check those out. HSU's offerings are boxed subs and the VTF-2 retails at $450.

FYI, my current, planned config consists of Athena AS-F2 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B2 surrounds, and a big ole SVS 20-39 PCi. I was very impressed with the Audition side of Athena's offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks