Best sub for about $500

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ed McCaffrey, May 13, 2004.

1. Ed McCaffrey

Ed McCaffrey Agent

I have some Boston Acoustics speakers that I am quite happy with. I want to add a sub now.

I looked at Boston since I have speakers from them. They have one that is $500, PV700. Is this one good for the price? I have no loyalty to them, so please recommend what you think is the best sub for around that price.

Thanks.

2. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Most people on this board would recommend something from www.svsubwoofers.com or www.hsuresearch.com over any other option. If you do a search of past messages you're bound to find hundreds of discussions on both brands. It is nearly universally accepted that subs from these internet direct companies materially outperform others at most price points (especailly around your $500 range).

3. Ed McCaffrey

Ed McCaffrey Agent

Thanks, I read some posts; and those brands do come up quite a bit.

Anyone want to compare the SVS PB1-ISD with the Hsu STF-3 (both $599 ). Any other brands I should consider?

4. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

5. Ed McCaffrey

Ed McCaffrey Agent

Wow, thank you so much. Can't believe I missed that thread.

6. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

If I where you I would stretch my budget to around $600 and look at the ones I listed below. Like mentioned above HSU and SVS seem to offer the best deal and biggest bang for your buck. That’s not to say there are not other good sub companies out there (Velodyne) for example but most feel that you can get the same performance for less money from HSU or SVS. BTW how big is your room, maybe you don’t need a big/more expensive sub.

HSU STF-3
    SVS PB1-ISD
    SVS 25-31PCi ($550)
    SVS 20-39PCi

7. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Just to chime in, as I have a Boston sub, the PV900. At its retail of 700$, I wouldn't have purchased it, but would likely have pursued some of the other possibilities out there. However I was able to bargain it down and I believe it's worth comparing to the lowest priced SVS box sub, which has similar specs and characteristics. I haven't heard the SVS, and I know of the almost religious following the brand has on this board, but I wouldn't dismiss the Boston out of hand, assuming a good price. That said, I wouldn't get the PV700 unless it had a significant markdown from retail.

P.S. I'm a Boston speaker owner as well, VR-M60s front, VR-M50s rear and VRC centre. The sub came as part of the package at a fair discount, very near the SVS entry level box sub (actually, now that I checked, slightly below in cost).

8. Ed McCaffrey

Ed McCaffrey Agent

Matt, after reading some thread I will definately try to stretch my budget to 600 if I decide on one of those ones.

The SVS PB1-ISD looks nice according to the review, as well as some others; but as Paul said, SVS and HSU seem to have a very large following so I will need to look to outside places to see if they earned it or if it is group think mentality.

For $100 more it seems like the other brands may be a better choice, but I will look to outside places too.

I have a few months before I will be able to buy anything anyway.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

For a different option consider building your own sub. There are many exceptional drivers and amps available. As with most other things your money tends to go farther when you do it yourself. Building a sub is far from rocket science if you follow an already proven design. Do a search for Tempest of AV15 in the DIY/Advanced area and you'll find lots of info.

10. Ed McCaffrey

Ed McCaffrey Agent

I looked into that a while ago. It seems easy enough; but I don't know if I can build something that would sound as nice as one of the ones pointed out.

11. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Paul,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but they're not even close. Being down-firing, vented sub designs is about all they have in common. The PB1-isd will have greater internal volume, more porting, more power, more features... You get the idea. This is coming from a former owner of the Boston Acoustics PV-1000, and current owner (and I love them) of many other Boston products (feel free to follow the link in my signature for more about my move from the BA to a SVS, gear photos, etc.).

-Robb

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

A couple more to consider—in the slightly below $500, you might consider adding the Adire Rava to the mix and in the slightly above $500, the Rocket UFW-10 is well worth checking out.

13. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Building a sturdy, air tight enclosure that matches a proven allignment is all it takes to make a great sounding sub (the driver and amp you buy for a DIY project will be better than what is used in the majority of commercial designs). That part really is easy. The trickier part with DIY is getting one that looks as good as commercial subs. That's the only area that real skill becomes involved.

Some DIYers just don't care and leave their enclosures unfinished. Then there are some like me who can do a decent finish. Looks as good as a commercial sub from a distance but get close and you can tell I built it. then you get to some of the guys who are really into wood working and they have the skill and take the time to build enclosures that put the majority of commercial finishes to shame.

14. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

How would these compare to SVS and HSU?

Rocket Loudspeakers UFW-10 Subwoofer $599.00 vs Pci and STF-3

and

Rocket ELT-1 SW-10 Subwoofe $299.00 vs STF-2 Both are 10" and 200W.

15. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

What about some of the offerings from Aperion Audio? They sure look great. Or the 12" Vance Dickenson kit from Parts Express?

16. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I second checking out the UFW-10. You might want to give this thread a read.

17. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I made the purchase (SVS 16-46PCi) after discovering HTF and reading about SVS. I couldn't be happier. Of course I would like now to upgrade (large, open room) but that's another story. I don't really need to upgrade but you know how that goes. I don't think you could go wrong by any means with even the cheapest SVS models. Mine certainly is head and shoulders above, and more, than any of the $500-1000 subs I listened to in much smaller, enclosed demo rooms. After my purchase I found a used 20-39PCi calibrated to 18Hz, I made my friend to buy it and he is very happy.

SVS has a 45 day return policy, if you don't like it just return it. Mail cost is a small price to pay in case you don't like what you hearing (and feeling).

18. Ed McCaffrey

Ed McCaffrey Agent

Definately some great reccomendations.

Right now I am looking at the SVS PB1; if anyone has reviews of head to head with the others that were suggested, I would love to see them.

19. TravisEtherton

TravisEtherton Stunt Coordinator

I just got my SVS 22/31 PCi and am in shock. This thing looks and sounds Incredible. You can quite literally FEEL the movie. I have heard many SVS owner make this claim but I had just wrote it off as them being Fanboys. Fanboys they are, and for GOOD reason. You won't be disappointed with the SVS. [​IMG]

20. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

Ed,

It all depends on what you are looking for. How big your room is, how loud you listen etc. There are some good retail subs out there in the $500-$600 and I'm sure you'd be happy with many of them, but if you want the ultimate for your money you have to Do-It-Yourself. If you put $500-$600 into a DIY sub it will easily outperform anything in the retail market at that price point.