What's new

Best sub for a limited budget ($130) (1 Viewer)

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
From what I've heard the Dayton 10" is the way to go.

I just ordered it today and it should be here by tomorrow (40 miles from the PE Springboro, OH showroom and the major UPS sorting center is in Sharonville, OH which is about 15-20 minutes away from me). I'll post my initial impressions after I get it.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I have to wonder about that SRS TruBass subwoofer. The TruBass technology compensates for real low bass extension by adding in the upper harmonics. Then the ear "fills in" the fundamental that corresponds to the harmonics. I imagine this would sound unnatural. That "Wow Thing" might work well with some computer speakers, though.

Without any experience building a subwoofer yourself, I would recommend taking up the offer of the $150 Sony WX500. It features dual long-throw 10" woofers, and should be a great sub for what you want to use it for. Other than that, the velodyne VX-10 should not be a bad buy.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Just got my Dayton about a half hour ago. It's already setup and calibrated. I tried some music and whatnot (some with heavy bass). I could already notice a difference over the Kenwood 8" I was using. The Dayton is tighter and less muddy with the low frequencies. I also tried a subwoofer excursion test. When it got to the two or three lowest frequencies it plays it was plenty loud (whereas the Kenwood rolled off quite a bit). I could actually feel the low stuff now. It definately gave me a sensation in my chest :D

I'm thoroughly pleased thus far :emoji_thumbsup: Time to try out some movies.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Holy crap this sub's awesome with movies :eek: I didn't know how much I was missing until now (still miss real impact with below 25Hz material though). I tried a number of movies (with DTS if supported) including Finding Nemo, POTC, The Fast and the Furious, LOTR:TTT, and U-571 (surface view of depth charges is unreal!). Still have quite a few more movies to check out.

The Dayton sub is quite a deal. I'd find it hard to believe there's anything else below $200-$250 that matches it (besides DIY). I can definately see, hear, and feel what all the acclaim is about :)

TosH

Agent
Oh Happy Day... I got my Dayton 10" today as well! :D So far, I'm super pleased with what I got. Some of my friends came over to listen to my new setup (Wharfedale Pacific Evo-10, Panasonic SA-XR45, Dayton 10") and they brought some subs along to compare. So far, I have a Sony SA-WM20, Sony SA-WM500, and a SVS 25-31 PCi (drool...) sitting in my basement. Should be an interesting comparison... and the SVS should provide a nice reality check :rolleyes::D

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure which driver they use Michael. I just took some pics of the innards after taking off the plate amp. The driver looks to be custom.

Build quality looks great and they even fill it :emoji_thumbsup:

WilliamMc

Stunt Coordinator
TOSH,
I hope to see a full report after you compare the Dayton to the other subs. When was the Dayton last on sale, and how often does it come around?

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
That magnet looks small. I don't know of that matters a whole lot, but I want a sub with real firepower behind it, personally. The magnet on my personal 10" driver is probably only 5" in diameter but it is double-stacked and on top of that, the back plate is bumped.

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Rory,
I understand what you are saying about the marketing hype, I didn't take any stock in it. My comments were about it as a simple 10" 150 vented subwoofer. Just looking at the pics of the DLS sub, the SRS driver looked more "stout" (heavy stamped frame, shielded, thick paper cone, santoprene surround, etc.) The SRS box is minimally crossed braced, and stuffing is included. There are two ports to vent the sub. I am sure that the DLS is great, but I wanted members to know that the SRS represents a true "value" buy right now. It won't compete with much larger and more expensive subs, but it shouldn't have to at $99 shipped.
Jim

Andrew O'Brien

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Greg for your reports. I bought the 10 inch Dayton about 3 weeks ago and it sounds great to me. I'm no expert though, so I'm glad to read your reports.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Another option could be the SWS sub from Klipsch. Was 200 bucks but for a limited time (I think) it cost only 100.

It is a nice sub that can reach about 32Hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks