Best sub for $800...Need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Wilmes, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Patrick Wilmes

Patrick Wilmes Stunt Coordinator

I know this question gets asked alot but I wanted some opinons on the 3 choices I've narrowed it down to.My budget is around $800 so my choices are 1)Paradigm Pw-2200 2)Mirage BPS-150i and 3)SVS 20-39pc.I don't know much about any of these models but as far as I know they are matched pretty well in performance and price.If anyone has any experience with one or more of these models I would be glad to hear your opinion.Thanks.

2. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Patrick,
    I'll be getting my SVS hopefully this week, albeit the 16-46. Since I noticed you are from St. Louis, I'll be happy to audition it for you if you can find your way to Maryland Heights. Send me a PM or e-mail if you want and we can arrange for late this week or early next.
    BTW, I know most SVS owners, as well as Ron and Tom if they weren't so polite [​IMG], would argue against those other 2 as well matched in performance....
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org
    [Edited last by Steve_D on August 06, 2001 at 08:57 AM]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    FYI:
    Cambridge soundworks has a speaker sale going on right now. If you trade in any speaker, you get $150 off, and that puts their Newton P1000 dual 10", BASH 1000W sub at $850. This thing is extremely impressive. The 8" (500W) version is also quite nice, and ends up at only $650. These things are quite small also.
    www.hifi.com.
    The PW-2200 is a great sub also.
    Not to complicate, but Velodyne should also be one of your auditions.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 06, 2001 at 10:24 AM]

4. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
  5. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a used Velodyne FSR-15 from ebay for about $600 six months ago. I did a search and there's one for sale right now. EXCELLENT sub! Comes out in top 3 or so in TN's tests.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have owned a Paradigm PW-2200 for 2 years and have been very pleased with its performance. I suspect you won't go wrong with any choice in that price range. Good luck and happy shopping.

7. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

Seeing as how I'm expecting a 16-46PC later this week, I hope SVS is the best! There certainly isn't a lack of enthusiasm for them on this forum.
    Pieter
    ------------------
    "I feel like I'm Han Solo, your Chewie, she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that f'd up bar!"

8. Mickey Brown

Mickey Brown Stunt Coordinator

I have a pw2200. I like it very much. I went with it because I was upgrading from a $350 PDR10 sub, and Paradigm allows speaker trade ups with full credit for a year..
    So if you want to upgrade to a servo 15 sometime down the road, you can get full credit for your pw2200..
    Although I think you'll find you're hitting the law of diminishing returns between the two.