What's new

Best sub for < 400 MSRP (300 actual) (1 Viewer)

Boka

Stunt Coordinator
The subject says it all (sorta). I've been leaning towards the JBL PB-10 since it is kinda nice to have the same brand all around but it is not a must. I live in a split house with people above and below so no massive power is required. 95% movies, 5% music. I prefer something that sounds good rather than just LOUD.

Lemme know what the best bang for my $300 will be.

Existing system that I'm adding this to is:

Pioner VSX-D508 Receiver
JBL S-310's (main)
JBL S-Center II
JBL S-36's (surround)

Thanks for any help

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My recommendation would be to do this, but not everyone can do this:
http://dustin.bunnyhug.net/twinstart.php
Final cost can be less than $300 and absolutely nothing commercially available at $300 will come even remotely close to it's performance level.
Note, it would be around $300 per sub. I built two, one went to parents, one went to a roommate.

Scott Cunninghm

Stunt Coordinator
I too am looking into subs for this price range. I would like a good sounding sub (no, I am not a freak about lab performance, good enough is good enough). I would prefer a smallish sub, possibly a 10" or so. This would allow it to fit under a small end table on the end of my couch.

I saw a Boston Accoustics 10" sub that looked nice, and had controls on the front such as volume, and polarity, etc..... I like it, but it was $1100 and my budget is more in the $400 range. I just passed up (actually missed out on) a Velodyne 1500R sub for $400, but I feel that would have been too big for my space.

Any suggestions????

Jon Gum

Stunt Coordinator
Have you seen/tried the Yamaha YST-SW320 or SW800? I personally have the SW320 and I absolutely love it. The SW320 is a 250 watt down-firing 10" sub. It has a variable high cut filter so you can match the frequancy limitations of your other speakers. Amplification is by Yamaha so you know the quality is good.

I think the SW800 is the same except the amplifier is an amazing 1,000 watts.

I got my SW320 for $300 including shipping. I heard BB can order these, but I am unsure what their price is. Happy shopping.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Velodyn CT120? (I don't know what it's called now) I know it's a cheep sub. Way to boomy to my ears, but should be better then the JBL 10 or sony WN20.

For HT use only, I have heard Infinity go quite deep. The entra Sub any good?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
HSU VTF2 used, if you can find one. Will wipe the floor with any of the above subs, except for maybe the DIY ones.

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. If money is an issue, either buy a quality used sub or build your own. The jump in sound quality will pay you back every time you use it. Check out some of the original SVS subs for sale on this forum, they sell fairly cheap.

Ted

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
Look for a PSB Subsonic on Ebay or Google. Very nice sub for the money. MUCH BETTER than the selections you cited.

Aperion and Adire Audio make nice subs also. A couple of more bucks if you can swing it.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I'd say the PB 12 would go best with your speakers. I have a similar system and I've been quite happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks