What's new

Best sub for $300? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
it says 100 wats x5, it's a Technics receiver that's about 5 years old, it could do basic surround sound and it has 6 chanel inputs in the back but it's from a little before 5.1 was really as common as it is nowadays

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
That amp could work even better with a custom sub from Acoustic Visions. I'd get in touch with Kyle and see what he could do for you with $300 for a passive Shiva or Dayton DVC12" based sub with two sets of binding posts.

Both the Shiva and Dayton are dual voice coil drivers. So you could take the sub preout of your current receiver, split it and run them into the left and right main inputs on the 6ch input of your Technics amp. Then hook the left and right main speaker outputs to the two voice coils of the driver. Set the mains to large on the Technics and go to its' 6ch direct mode.

This would be a significant step up from the Sony or JBL.

Richard_s

Second Unit
I have an all JBL speaker system. N26 mains, n-center, n24 rears. I had the sony sa-wm40 polyfilled it and it did sound quite good about equivalent to my sons front firing 10" JBL that preceeded the PB10 (I think he has the D110).

I unstuffed it and returned it since it just did not have enough power for my room. I got the PB12 from JandR and it is handsdown better than the sony Sa-wm40 in my room it just can handle the LFE way better. Also better for music in my opinion. The downside to the PB12 is that it has only a 1 year warranty on the amplifier and if you read many individuals have had problems with the amplifier failing. I really like the pb12 for the money. If the amplifier fails past a year I will just get a good plate amp to replace it. Oh the other issue is that many state that it can take weeks if not months to get the JBL subwoofers fixed but I do not know that first hand. What I do know first hand is I sent the parts department at JBL an E-mail telling them I wanted to purchase a new amplifier for my sons D110 (I sent them the correct number just can't remember it now) and that was two weeks ago and I still have not gotten a return e-mail. NOT GOOD.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
i'm leaning toward the PB12 now pretty much.. but this is the first I heard about it dying.. is it really something to worry about, or fairly rare?
I found it using mysimon.com for $248 at etronics.com and $269 at eCost.. anyone know if either of those merchants are any good, or should I just go with J&R? I'm planning to head out to Best Buy tonight to give it a sound test though, but I'm sure it will be great, everything else I have from JBL has been so far :)

Richard_s

Second Unit
My opinion go with JandR so you are buying from an authorized dealer. If you should need warranty service you be in a better position to pressure them to fix it. My PB12 sounds great Just wanted you to know about the reliability issue I have read about. I read that JBL fixed the problem and later models of the PB12 will be more reliable I am banking on that but I don't know for sure. I did e-mail JBL tech support to find out how I know if I have a later model and this was their response:
Hi Richard,
The PB12 manufacturing
facility was recently moved. Newer PB12's will have a separate Power switch.
The warranty period for this model is one year for electronics and five
years on speaker components, as described on the warranty statement packaged
with your unit.
Regards,
Ernie Luedemann
Web Support 3
Good news is they answered within a few days. Other good news is that the unit I got from jandr a month ago had the switch so it was the latest model.
Hey we both have exactly 298 posts :)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
what about the PB10? How does that compare to the PB12? Will I really notice a difference in the 2?

Neal_C

Second Unit
Tim,

To hook up the SVS (or any other passive sub) just run a sub cable from your receiver's sub out connection into the left channel input for CD on your old receiver (the one being used as an amp). Then just run speaker wire from the left front output on the old receiver to the sub and you are done.

I have mine setup this way and it works just fine. The SVS is a great sub, especially in your price range.

Hope this helps. I know there are lots of sub choices; I'm sure you will make the one that is best for your situation.

Neal

NathanRT

Agent
J&R will price match. I got my PB12 for $274 shipped. If I remember correctly I had them price match bestpriceaudiovideo.com. That was about 6 months ago.

I was quite impressed with its performance for the price. It does surprisingly well with music.

Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks