What's new

Best sub for $300? (1 Viewer)

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I have the JBL NSP1 speaker package and it's time to upgrade my old cheapy subwoofer to something better. Anyone know of a good sub for $300? I've heard Sony has one for around $200 but if I can get something better for spending 100 more, than that's what I wanna do :) Looking for something I can just get at Worst Buy or Tweeter.
Anyone know of anything good to check out?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
From all accounts on this forum the Sony is your best option until you get to the $400 mark.

That is unless you can build your own enclosure (ie DIY). In which case you can build a sub for $300 that will destroy the Sony.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Well what i think the BEST sub you will get for $300:

Tempest 15" driver = $150 shipped from acousticvisions

250w plate amplifier = $110 shipped from partsexpress (If there's sale on it)

two sheets of 3/4" MDF from home depot = $40

glue + nails = $5

Build a sealed subwoofer or pay an extra $20 for dual flared ports from partsexpress. The bass will have theatrical impact and sound quality to match subs in the $1000 range. I'd put my tempest against an SVS ultra given the chance.

But if ur not into DIY or into economics and how 20 hours of labor = $X, then buy the sony or JBL. The PB12 seems to be the popular choice as does that sony.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I just bought a sub at ubid for $119=audio device 15". Sounds fine to me. I just wish my rcvr could do a 50htz crossover. 80 htz is too high for this beast.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I don't think i have the skill or knowledge to really build my own Sub. I guess I'll go with the Sony, what is it called exactly, like what model number, so I know what to look for?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Minimal knowledge is required about how things work if you follow a proven design. The only skill part is wood working. If that's a big problem there are flat kits available (you just glue and screw it together). However, those will take you a little bit past $300.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Since I already have all JBL speakers, would I be better off getting the PB12? I know the speaker set I have came highly recomended and is meant to work great together and all that stuff

Martin G

Second Unit
I would still go with the Sony sub. You can usually find it online for around $140. It will sound better then the JBL sub in almost every way, especially after modifying it with polyfill.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
A Sony sub would match just fine. When I started out I bought the Sony WM-40 to go with my Kenwood 504 "which comes with its own sub" and ran both of them. I have lots of openings in my HT dedicated living-room and this for the money sounded absolutely great. I bought the Sony at Video only for $135. If you can run two Sony's with out cancellations I would think you would be very pleased IMO. GOOD LUCK! PS--Another thought would be to just hold off if it would not take to long and just buy a SVS, or a HSU-2 can be had for $450 + or -. Is $150 more out of the question? Something like this will be your final out-come anyway most likely. I wish I would have done this more in hind sight.

Sebastian

Second Unit
Ayy the infamous Sony sub. Well I just got done screwing around with that Sony sub. Poly fil mod and stuff. I was comparing it to a Klipsch SW-10 II (older sub) and HTD level II 10" sub.
The result:
The klipsch sounded the best (just barely) and plenty of bass output but the Amp would clip or the sub would bottom out on a couple of explosions in Saving Private Ryan. So that was out of the running.
The HTD once I got it running right sounded real nice, it would hit all bass notes real well.
The Sony on the other hand would sound terrible on some heavy bass notes. (Bass outlaws CD)
Also on the T2 DVD there is and DTS intro where the bass fades out. The Sony sub could not handle it would start to distort at the same output level as the HTD.
The sony would put out more rumbling sound (maybe thats what everyone means when they say "boomy") than the HTD but it just did not sound as good or blend as well.
If you can get it for

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Why all of a sudden is there a consensus that the Sony is better than the PB-12? Perhaps it MIGHT run neck in neck with a PB-10, but to say that the Sony will best the PB12 in every way is a complete exagerration. The PB12 dips lower, has better build quality, and is DEFINITELY more musical than the Sony is - and it should be stated that I am talking about the Sony in stock form. I own a PB12, and settled on it after auditioning the Sony. To me, the PB12 looks and sounds better than the Sony, which is probably why it costs a little more (yes, I am a proponent of you get what you pay for). 300.00 for the PB-12 is money well spent, though the Sony is probably the best sub you'll get under 200.00.

Reggie

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Reggie I think if I had to choose one over the other it would be the PB over the Sony, very easy decision. Now if I was going to run two subs, one of them being the one I all ready had and with plans on upgrading in the future SVS HSU VEL and so on, I would go with the Sony. I have seen plenty of other posts comparing the Sony to the PB and the PB has come out on top.I believe it.

Neal_C

Second Unit
For just a touch over $300 (like $30 or so) you could get a B-stock SVS 25-31CS. I bought a b-stock 20-39CS a couple weeks ago and love it. I guess the only draw back is it isn't a powered sub (atleast not the version I'm talking about)so you would need an amp to power it. If you have an old receiver around, that will work as an amp just fine also.

Just another suggestion.

Neal

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
I have the PB-12 and couldn't be happier. $299 delivered from jandr. I thought about the Sony before I got the PB-12. However, if you compare the specs between the two, the PB-12 beats the Sony in every category...Music or movies, you can't go wrong.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
i do have an extra receiver laying around actually, how exactly would I set this up if I did it like that?

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
$300 is a tricky price point. I'd save and get to the $400 dollar range. There, you can get a Rava or a HSU ($449). Either of which will blow the others away as far as sound quality. Both the Sony and the JBL are quite boomy to my ears. The SVS option is also a good one. How many watts is that old reciever of yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks