Best sub driver in the $450ish range?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe.Madison, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Joe.Madison

Joe.Madison Auditioning

Like the title of my posting says, I'm tryin' to figure out what the best bang for the buck subwoofer would be for around $450ish? The $450 would have to include any passive radiators if their necessairy.

Here are some of the choices I've been looking at:

Eclipse (Car audio) Aluminum 15"
    Stryke Audio HE15 or AV15 (HE15 might be pushing the budget)
    Any of the Adire Audio subs? (Tumult, Multiple Shivas, etc..)
    Shiva
    Peerless

Any other suggestions you might have, feel free to let me know. The only sub out of this group I've actually heard, is the Eclipse 15", so I need your opinions on these subs.

As long as I can get a 4ohm load, I'll have plenty of power to run about anything (Gotta love that Cinepro power [​IMG] )

I'll be looking forward to your responses!
    Thanks,
    --Joe

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I guess there are a few factors that may be considered:

How many watts do you have/ room size?
    Do you prefer sound quality bass or output (boom).
    Is size of the subwoofer a limit?
    Would dual subs be ok?

3. Joe.Madison

Joe.Madison Auditioning

I'll be running between 600-750wrms with about 3.5db of headroom at 4ohms. (Cinepro 3k6II) ...

Sound quality is important, however the sub is going to be used 100% for home theater. (I never listen to music in my cinema room) So basically I would like a good mix of SQ and boom.

I would prefer to use 15" drivers, nothing bigger. I might consider 2 12" drivers. I also have no objection to using 2 15" drivers, as long as I can get a 4ohm load. Box size requirements are unimportant (No wife factor to worry about [​IMG] )

I think at this point, I'm leaning towards the Tumult, however If I do end up going with the Tumult, I'll probably have to do a sealed enclosure (Don't think I could afford 2 18" PR's considering the price of the driver [​IMG] )..

Thanks!
    --Joe

4. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

av15 sims great in a larger box tuned low. but you might have to wait a month to get 1. but for the price of 1 tulmut and 1/2 the price for a good amp you can have a very good sub. i am waiting for 2 myself. i have them in a 700l box tuned to 17 hz and aplying 1000 wats rms to both.

5. Joe.Madison

Joe.Madison Auditioning

Just curious, with an AV-15 in a box with a couple PR's, what commercial sub would that be comparable to?

Thanks!
    --Joe