What's new

Best Sub Driver for small enclosures (1 Viewer)

It's so hard to decide either to buy a used Kappa Perfect 12.1 for about 150 USD or to wait that BluePrints arrive to Europe. Both are good drivers, but which one has better SQ? Thats the question :)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Infinity vs BluePrint is an apples vs oranges comparison. The Infinity isn't a high excursion driver. I don't remember the exact Infinity specs, but it would probably take 2 or 3 of them to equal the output of a single 1203. Pretty sure the sound quality would be quite similar

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ville,

What do you mean "wait for the Blueprints to arrive in Europe?" Does the shipping from the US make it cost prohibitive? I'm sure it's not cheap!

Brian

BruZZi

Second Unit
Sending by Federal Express International Economy (50 Lbs) to Finland will be something around US$ 264.90 (Plus Country Toll/Taxes)

Ville,shipping an 1803 to Stockholm in Sweden is about 109$ with BaxGlobal, plus taxes(25% in Sweden) and a custom fee(4.5%). Shipping a 1203 would be the same.

Pat Morrissey(BPD) mentioned something about an UK dealership but this was still in a talking stage.

Yeah, the postage to Finland costs way too much and I'd have to pay the customs too.. So the price could easily get to 500 USD, and that's insane... Pat at BPD has told that there will propably be an UK retailer this year, but you never know what happens.. But it should be cheaper to buy it from UK.

How does BP 1203 in 45L sealed box with EQ compare to eg. Velodyne HGS-12 in Sound Quality and SPL? What amps would you suggest to 1203?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Don't know about mfgr's subs. I've been building my own subs since the early 1970's. Generally speaking DIY subs are superior to the retail designs since they aren't being built to a price point.

The 1203 are a single VC driver and need at least 500 watts. Any reasonable quality amp will be fine for bass. These also must have parametric EQ. The Behringer DSP1100P/DSP1124P are best buys.

Yep, i was thinking about BFD or Behringer Ultracurve Pro, which is even better than BFD, but costs more.

EDIT:

How about the thd of BP 1203 in sealed? How big/low is it?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ville,

I'd think it would have to be pretty damn low unless you start throwing thousands of watts at the driver or drive your amp into clipping. Otherwise, I think you'd beat the pants off an HGS12 with the 1203, Adire's HS500 amp, and a BFD for equalization. But not knowing the actual SPL and THD numbers for the HGS12's this is just speculation on my part!

Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
My main point, although I didn't specify at the time, was that driver and an amp (any amp) with comparable power to the HS500 along with the BFD should be one hell of a performer. I imagine you could get a good pro sound amp for a decent price.

Brian

Hmm.. How much does damping factor affect to the "tightness" of sub? Is it good to be over 400 with 1203?

BTW, is there any projects yet about 1203 in web?

A

Anthony_Gomez

I am not sure on the dampning....but I cantell you that I have yet to see a blueprint sub project posted.

...stryke that. Jerry parker (i think) has the 1803 posted and there are some images from the bass list meeting way back when with a couple of subs...but not the 1203.

there are lots of talk about it I just haven't seen anything. Perhaps I can get a digital camara to post my 1503 sub...

Someone has said that THD doesn't really matter on movies but with music it does matter. I think its like that because sub must integrate well with speakers when listening music..

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm not aware of any THD measurements on DIY subs. If you're very concerned about it, though, I'd go with the Velodyne. They publish very low THD numbers.

Jack, If i can't afford a HS-500, how do you think i could afford eg a Velodyne HGS-12? ;)
My last sub was Velodyne CT-150 and it was good with movies, but it sucked with music.
How's the SQ of 1203 in sealed at 20-80hz?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Fast 'bass" is called treble....

The comparing only the cone weight of a 1203 vs Shiva and ignoring the rest of the T/S parameters is meaningless exercise. The massive motor structure of the 1203 is more than adequate to make it as 'fast' as a Shiva.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks