What's new

Best sub $500 or less. (1 Viewer)

JessyMcK

Agent
What do you think is the best for $500 or less shipped? Please no explanations why, just list the sub that you think is best.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The "best" one is the SVS PB10 mentioned above. It might not be someone's "favorite", though.

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Dear Jessy,

The idea of "best" is much more complex than some people may think. Best in terms of: box size or form factor? amplifier feature set? dynamic compression levels? cabinet finish options? distortion limited output at higher frequencies? distortion limited output at lower frequencies? output per given floor space? low end frequency response? subjective sound quality?

The most fundamental concept in subwoofer design is the idea of tradeoff. All subwoofers involve tradeoffs, and it is up to each respective consumer to choose the product that compromises in the least number of areas that are important to them.

For what it's worth, in response to James, the VTF-2 MKII will have cost-effective upgrade options available in the future, so it is probably a better long-term investment than the STF-2 if the extra cost is not a large concern. I know that is not much to go on for now, but it's out of my hands until we all feel comfortable releasing more information.

Hope this helps broaden people's scope a bit.

Sincerely,

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

I was referring to the ability of a sub to replicate as closely as possible the input signal. Form factor, finish, size, etc. are another story, and "subjective differences" would be convered under the "favorite" part.
I had assumed the poster was asking about best performance,not for recommendations as to the "best" size or finish.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Velodyne CHT-15, but they are getting rather difficult to find. MRSP is much higher than that. I was searching not to long ago and was able to find a guy one within your price range.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I can also recommend the Adire Rava and if you don't mind a little of assembly kit subs from creative sound (you'll need to buy an amp which can be found here usually in the used harware section) or partsexpress as well with all the fixings so maybe all you'll need is a drill, screw driver, and maybe a second pair of hands.

JessyMcK

Agent
Has anyone ever recessed the subwoofer into a wall? How would that mess with the sound. By recess I mean to build something like a garage, over the top and side. My wife does homedaycare and I would like it to be a little more child friendly than leaving it in a corner.

Guy Strem

Auditioning
For $500 ?

Build your own. Buy a good used pair of JBL 2225's (400 watt) or 2226's (600 watt). That will set you back about 400 bucks (maybe less if you're lucky). The other hundred will be for the 3/4" high density particle board you need to build the cabinets. Study some different designs, talk to a lot of different people, and listen to as many as you can before you decide on a particular design. Got to Google or Yahoo and type in "JBL Heritage" and visit their library. You can reference just about anything they've built in the past 60 years.

Guy

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Good evening Jack!

Accurate replication of the signal is more complex than most people think too! 60-80Hz signal? 40-60Hz? 20-40Hz? 15% distortion limited output? 10%? 5%? frequency response using a 95db tone? 105db tone? 115db tone? amplifier limiter? amplifier features? power compression SPL levels?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

What are you talking about? Set whatever distortion limit/level you want. Highest, cleanest, flatest output/least power compression over the widest bandwidth.

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Hello again Jack,

Again a simple idea: so-called accuracy of the input signal can be different depending on the parameters of the test. For instance, speaking hypothetically of course, one subwoofer may be able to maintain a relatively flat frequency response curve from 25-80Hz using no higher than a 85db tone while also playing flat to 20Hz at this level, while another subwoofer may be optimized for bass above 25Hz and be able to maintain a flat frequency response curve from 25-80Hz using a 95db tone. Another hypothetical example using a different test would be as follows: one subwoofer is able to hit 105db's at 25Hz with only 2% distortion with an amplifier limiter in place to limit output as distortion rises above this level so that it hits, say, 107db's at 25Hz using a 10% distortion limit. Another subwoofer can only hit 103db's at 25Hz using a 2% distortion limit, but is able to pull ahead to 109db's with a 10% distortion limit.

Hope that makes sense.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I imagine there's a point to all these hypotheticals, so let's address the issue of the thread and two specific subs: in what objective way (pick a bandwidth, THD level, SPL level, FR, anything you've mentioned) would the VTF2Mk2 (or anything) outperform the PB10-ISD? Let's leave out psychoacoustics or size or finish for now and stick only to the objective performance measures that you've brought up.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The point is to diminish the SVS I'm sure. The box size, etc slaps are the usual norm there. It's pretty obvious where this is headed..

These subwoofer wars get really old. While its extremely annoying when the usual loyal customers pop in, its worse IMHO if a manufacturer gets involved. /end rant

The 25-31 PCI SVS I heard this weekend in a nice sized room( I think its $549 + shipping though), was mindblowingly good. I think that demo alone(music and HT) while short sold 2-3 more subs just like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks