Best sub $150 video capture / TV Tuner card

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Jan 10, 2001
    I went to CompUSA last night, looking for a combo TV Tuner / Video capture device.

I saw two that I debated between: Creative's Digital VCR, and an ATI device that was USB-based. Both had TV Tuners, and the ability to record from TV or outside video sources.

Anyone have one of these gadgets or have any recommendations?
  2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Mar 2, 2000
    Christian Behrens
    If you don't need the highest 3D speeds, the Matrox Marvel cards are supposed to be quite good. They are known for their excellent 2D image quality and have excellent driver support.
    I just got a Marvel G450 off eBay for $150, which should have arrived today [​IMG].
    Good luck,
  3. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Sep 3, 1999
    I'd recommend a custom modded capture card sold by KBK over on the AVScience forums.
  4. CarlDJr

CarlDJr Stunt Coordinator

Dec 14, 2001
    Surprised you haven't gotten more input, so here are some thoughts.
    If you can use an AGP card, I think that is the way to go. Generally better performance and more features in a TV tuner/capture card.
    Most reviews give the ATi All-In-Wonder the lead as far as quality of picture and features.
    You can buy the new AIW Radeon 7500 from for $155 shipped. And you get a neat remote.
    I have the original AIW Radeon and can tell you the remote is a definite plus.
    A few reviews you might find helpful:
    Reviews for the ATi TV Wonder USB:
    Since the Video Blaster Digital VCR is so new, I couldn't find any reviews.
    Hope these help. Good hunting!
    Edit: Sorry, the $155 price is OEM. If you dicide to go with the AIW7500 I would difinitely get the retail version since it comes with all the manuals - which you will need.
    Retail version at Newegg is $171 shipped.