Best Sub $100 Speaker Cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JustinP, Jul 15, 2002.

1. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to purchase some speaker cable for a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's I just recently acquired. I'd like to bi-wire the speakers, and only need about a 6-10 foot length of cable for each. I'm looking to spend no more than $100 total. I understand that there's a decently sized contingent on this forum that believes there's no difference in the sound output of speaker cable, but I'd like to hear from both camps on this one. I should also add that I'm willing to pursue internet vendors.

Thanks again,

Justin

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    You can go with the standard 12ga speaker wire and use bananas or spades for connectors. Or if you want it to look nice and have that little extra security of a great connection you can go with premade cables from monster or some other brands. I actually have a pair of Z1 monster cables I'm not using and would be willing to sell or trade them. they don't bi-amp but they are a great pair. Let me know if you are interested.

I'm not sure but you may have a hard time finding bi-amp wires for under $100 that are nice like the Z series. I don't know that much about the expensive cables so check out the website to see what's available and how much it will cost you.

3. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

You should look at the Canare 4S8 or 4S11 speaker cables.
    You could buy the raw cable and either go with bare wire or terminate them yourself. They should perfrom every bit as well as the Monster Z series.

If you would prefer a finished look and do not want to source and terminate them yourself you can check out the following on-line suppliers of this cable type:

RhinoCables.com
    Cscables.com
    Heartlandcables.com
    CobaltCables.com
    Signalcables.com

Bettercables.com used to sell this cable in the past and there should still be lots of feedback available.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well my general position is 12 gauge Sound King with terminations that suit your own particular preferences. That goes for around 0.40/ft. I don't recall the prices on the Canare that Mark mentioned. The Canare cables that Mark mentions are the "Star Quad" and can be read about here I don't have pricing on the bare Canare wire. Perhaps Mark can provide some. If you're investigating whether biwiring will provide an audible benefit over running the same length/gauge of wire conventionally, then this link (scroll to the bottom) will provide an approach to evaluating it. Otherwise, knock yourself out [​IMG]

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Justin,

Try out the major brands and pick the one you like. depending on your other source equipment and amps you might want to expand your budget to 300 bucks.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

tis a pity most cable suppliers don't publish at the least values for L, C, R. Perhaps you can find some suppliers of 12 gauge with low L/high C and highL/low C. Cables can certainly be ordered off the web and most places have a 30 day or so evaluation period. Likely you'll be responsible for s/h both ways and there's a possibility, which you'll have to check on, of a restocking fee. Perhaps someplace local might work out for you.

7. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

I want to do the same thing -- I need 3 10' pieces of 12 ga bi-wire for $100-$150. Found a guy on eBay (knukonceptz) selling the stuff at $1.40/ft., 99.9% pure copper, oxygen free, blah blah blah. I then ordered connectors from partsexpress. If you're interested, I'll let you know how these turn out (once they arrive -- I only just ordered them -- and I get some time to rewire).

A lot of folks say bi-wiring probably won't help, and I've already got good wire installed, but I won't know whether or not it helps with my system unless I try it.

8. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I bought all my speaker cables and banana plugs from knukonceptz.com it really is high quality stuff at a low cost. I am not a believer in high end cables actually sounding better so this stuff works for me perfectly.