What's new

best stereo speaker headphones for < $50 (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Hi all, I have a Sony D-CJ506CK MP3/CD portable player and I'd like to get some better headphones for it. I don't want to spend too much but the Sony ones I'm using don't do much bass at all and if it does, it distorts on some cds. I'm looking for something that sounds decent and actually has a very long cord. I usually listen to it while out walking and I usually keep the player in my briefcase bag which I carry down near my knees. So, I need a minimum of a 5 foot cord which is what I have now. I'd actually like something longer so if I set my bag on the ground for whatever reason, my head doesn't get yanked down with it :) I've looked at the Sennheiser HD-457, anyone have experience with that model?
thanks much,
--tom

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Check out the Optimus Titaniums sold at Radio Shack. They are on sale for 19.99 half price. These headphones have very good bass output with inline volume control.

DeanChat

Auditioning
The Koss Porta Pros are vey nice sounding headphones (and they fold up too!), especially for the price (around 30-40 bucks). The cord is about 5 ft. I use them with a little Sangean portable (really small AM/FM walkman thingee) at the gym and they are great. I use Grado SR-60s and Sennheiser 580s at home so I have some idea what decent headphones sound like and the Porta Pros sound pretty darn good.

-Dean

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info so far.

Does anyone use the Sennheiser models (HD457,477,497) for actual portable use such as when walking? I'm just wondering how comfortable they are and how big/heavy they are. There's currently a $5 rebate on these models so they fall right around or under my price limit of $50.

thanks,

--tom

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if the coupon code still works or not, but click here to check out my post about getting the Koss Porta-Pros at 50% off.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

Check out the Optimus Titaniums sold at Radio Shack. They are on sale for 19.99 half price. These headphones have very good bass output with inline volume control.
----------------------

BTW These headphones are also made by Koss but sold under the Radio Shack name.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

----------------------

BTW These headphones are also made by Koss but sold under the Radio Shack name.
These headphones, also known as the Pro-35 model, are quite good with portable CD players. I purchased a pair of them a few years back. I've used them quite extensively and they've held up real well. For $19.99, these headphones are a steal.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Thanks everyone.

I checked the specs on the Koss Porta-Pros and unfortunately the cord is only 4 feet long which is too short for me - also looks like the rebate is no longer active. Does anyone know how long the cord is on the Optimus Titaniums. I am attracted to the Sennheisers due to the good reputation that they have and they have a 10 foot cord! Which is more than enough for me.

Anyone else have any opinions?

thanks,

--tom

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

Does anyone know how long the cord is on the Optimus Titaniums.
----------------------

The cord is just over 6 feet from ear piece to the tip of the plug.

BTW I think you're cheating yourself if you don't take your player to Radio Shack to check these out.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Reginand, do you happen to have a RS part number so I can check it out on their web site? I saw one or two that might be the ones you're describing but not an exact match on the name.
Rob, thanks for the web site. Yes, I did a search here in Speakers and found a few more threads dealing with this subject and found my way to that site, as well as http://www.head-fi.org I think I've pretty much narrowed my search down to this Radio Shack model and the SennHeiser HD497 - has anyone dealt with etronics.com - they have the latter for $45 which is $10 cheaper than anywhere I can find it. Since I'm thinking this set may also come in handy at my home office on those late nights when my wife doesn't want music blaring through the upstairs - this is where a nice long cord would also come in handy. I've never had anything but the $10 el cheapo headphones so this is all a new experience to me. :)
thanks,
--tom

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
The Sony model is a little beyond my price range at $99 and they are quite bulky. I went to Radio Shack but they didn't have the model listed by Reginald. I ended up picking up the Sennheiser HD497s and am giving them a try. They sound excellent but they are bulkier than I thought they'd be so I am not sure they are really any good for portable use. There is a slight goofball factor wearing these down the street I think :) I may just use them around the house and look for something a bit more lightweight and less noticeable such as the Radio Shack Koss if I can find it, the PortaPro or the Sennheiser PX100s. I'll just have to use an extension cord with the ones that only have a 4 foot cord. But I must say that now that I've heard the Sennheiser's, anything I get will have to sound in the same ballpark as them.
thanks for the feedback,
-tom

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I have the Senns 497 and they are awesome. They are very comfortable on my head and they sound great as well. :emoji_thumbsup:

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Paul, I agree on the sound. I'm listening to them now at work and they really sound great. I'm still getting used to the comfort and feel though. They basically wear like over the ear earmuffs on my ears and since I've never worn anything but on the ear headphones, they're taking some getting used to. If the PX100s sound like these and are a little smaller and lighter then I may get them as a second more summery portable pair. I do suspect though that these HD497s will keep my ears warm for my early morning exercise walks into my workplace. :) So, they can be for winter use. I do think my ears will be sweating alot come warmer weather here in NE.
cheers,
--tom

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
You can also see if you can locate the Grado SR40.

From what I understand, this headphone has the same drivers as the SR60, except housed in a plastic enclosure and assembled in China. It's about $40.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks