What's new

Best Steering Wheel for XBOX? (1 Viewer)

David Glenn

Second Unit
I played the Rallisport demo on my xbox magazine demo disc and love it. I'm going to pick up the game today. I was never into racing games before but now I'm so loving it, I'm tempted to pick up a steering wheel controller as well.

What is the best steering wheel for the xbox?

Dan B

Screenwriter
David, I can't comment on the current controllers. I'm currently in the "wait and see what's coming next" mode. I'm hoping to hear something from Logitech, as I'm a big fan of their wheels. Perhaps the upcoming E3 show will bring some announcements on upcoming steering wheels.
Mmmm...E3. :)
Scott, the playable demos are Dark Summit (not too bad considering it's $12.50 at Amazon right now), NBA Inside Drive 2002, a new & improved Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee demo, GUNVALKYRIE, & Rallisport Challenge.
-Dan B

David Glenn

Second Unit
Scott,

Yes, I received the May issue yesturday and it has Rallisport as one of their playable demos. The demo includes one course from each of the 4 modes of play. They were very confident in giving away so much in the demo.

It was also nice to play a bit of the GUNVALKYRIE demo.

It seems xbox magazine is finally putting recent releases in thier playable demo discs. I hate when they simply regurgatate (sp?) the old release playable demos.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Most exellent Dave, I look extra forward to getting this in the mail. I hope it's there when I get home. I especially liked the demo of Amped last month. Very deep, lots of different hills and challenges. Thanks for the info. If it weren't for the OXM, I'd have traded in my box for a PS2 so that I could play GTA3 every free second I have. It's very tempting.

Now I sound like I'm not in support of the greatest gaming system on earth. Oh well.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Any more ideas on racing wheels for the Xbox? I played Gran Turismo on PS2 at a buddy's tonight using the wheel and it was a blast.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I still don't think anything come out except from MadCatz. If anyone knows otherwise, tell me as I'd love for there to be a Logitech Momo or something.

I also think Madcatz came out with a 'universal' wheel - basically the same as tehir other wheel that you can use on the PS2/Xbox etc. May be an option if you can't wait & have multiple consoles.

I've got the same wheel for my DC - anyone seen a Xbox-DC adapter??

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I've read some mixed reviews on the MadCatz wheel. Plus it doesn't have force feedback from the review I read, which for me is basically a deal-breaker. I don't want a loose wheel. If you have information otherwise please let me know. I really liked the LogiTech my buddy has for the PS2. Really solid with tight response and feedback. Plus it has the gear levers on the sides of the wheel as opposed to a stick.

Leroy

Second Unit
I have the Mad Catz wheel for the Xbox and really like it. There are a few others out, but I like this one the best. It's got paddles, a shifter and floor pedals. It's got a nice feel. It does have the rumble feature, but no force feedback. Wheel action itself is quite solid, so the no force feedback is no big deal IMO.

It can attach to a flat surface via suction cups, or be placed on your lap and held in place with retractable "legs".

Another plus is that it's easy to calibrate on the fly with it's LED gauge.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I wrote a review of the Madcatz wheel in this thread if you're interested.
I still think its the best wheel out there for the Xbox at the moment. Sure wish I could get a X-box cart for my Act labs RS Wheel.
Dean

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
There is also the Thrustmaster Nascar pro-victory Wheel
Link Removed
and the Gamester proracer
2.1.0.0.xbox_03.gif

I'm pretty sure there is another one, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Edit: Now I remember, the Saiteck wheel
wheel.jpg

The G-shock Wheel from Naki
80115.jpg

And the Pelican Wheel
pl-2003.gif

Dean

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Dean - thanks. I can't remember seeing any of those at retail, but will look into them. Anyone seen any online reviews of these?

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
I picked up the thrustmaster wheel tonight. I'm going to use it for a bit and I'll report back on it. Kind of wierd buying it since I used to work for them. I'm used to getting all my stuff from them for free. But that was before Guilemont bought them.

Mike

Dan B

Screenwriter
Oooh, Logitech responded to one of my emails the other week about a wheel for the Xbox. They said that they are eager to release a "true force feedback" wheel for the 'box but do not have Microsoft's approval at this time. They said something about being able to release a wheel, but Microsoft will not "enable" force feedback output on the 'box yet, whatever that is all about...

I presume that Microsoft wants to release one of their own before letting the after-market have a go at it. Microsoft does make some fine force feedback wheels for the PC, so I hope they get their ass in gear and release one already.

-Dan

soon to get back into gaming after a long vacation...

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I have tried 2 of the Siatek wheel (the ones I tried did not have pedals though) and the little lever on the side was difficult to get fully pressed and did not have an even response along it's travel. This makes it hard to go fast in games like PGR or NASCAR 2003. Also, there seems to be a pretty big dead area at the top and it is hard to keep from overcorrecting and overcorrecting for the overcorrection.... My wife kept one and I am using the controller until I can try a force feedback.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I'd love to see a MS force feedback wheel. I wonder if they are waiting for PGR2 to release it though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks