Best STB available? 720p? Toshiba? Sony HD100? Zenith?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisA, Mar 11, 2001.

1. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

I'm trying to find the 'best' STB/HD Receiver available. I'm very interested in 720p output since I have a Dwin HD700. I'm also interested in using OTA HD reception since I live in Philadelphia with 6 channels available...
    Can anyone provide the technical specifications and comparisons between the Sony SAD HD100 and the Toshiba DST 3000. Any information or links would be helpful. Any info or insight as to which is better and in what regard would be highly appreciated. Any other choices would be fine also...
    I am interested in a sattellite dish also, but haven't looked into Direct TV or DSS yet.
    720p is a big deal to me. I thought Toshiba provided 720p? What about the Sony HD100 ... I know nothing about any STB as I've never owned one before... Just trying to get the highest quality one available, cost no object.

2. Jim Kirkman

Jim Kirkman Agent

My understanding (and I've been told this by my retailer) is that the Toshiba converts everything to 1080i. So if your looking for 720p, this may not be a good choice for you.
    Jim
    ------------------

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The dish 6000 will convert to 720p or 1080i your choice..Only drawback is at this time you have to have the dish to go with it and subcribe to dish network...
    ------------------

4. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

Until everyone can afford converting 1080i into 1080p and also have a display device capable of 1080p, I believe 720p should be everyone's concern. It is simply the best available native format for sports, movies, you name it. Interlaced is and will always be a problem. Further, I have a Dwin HD 700 which resolves 720p but not 1080i or 1080p ... 1080i is definitely not a good thing compared to 720p... The only choice is to get a Faroudja 5000 and a 9 inch CRT and that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Therefore 720p is very important to me...
    Can anyone tell me about the expensive Pioneer STB?
    Chris