What's new

Best/standout scenes & cameos (2 Viewers)

LennyP

Supporting Actor
You know those scenes, that you remember long after the movie or an episode of a series is over, maybe it's a cameo that stands out, it might even be better than the whole movie, or a scene that's just perfect, etc. So let everyone know about your favs, maybe some will discover a great movie that way.

In Neil LaBute's second movie, Your Friends & Neighbors, when THE two most underrated actresses get together, Nastassja Kinski and Catherine Keener, there is a nice quiet moment, Kinski lies on a couch and Keener touches her hair and then they start to kiss, it's just beautiful. All their subsequent scenes and subtle movements of the head or eyes here and there just make that movie what it is.
It's the one where Jason Patric proves he's an actor.

Another perfect scene is from a missed by most movie released by the new and already defunct Dimension Films called The Eye of the Beholder. Ewan McGreggor seen through a window of a hotel, barely walking through forceful desert winds, following Ashley Judd like a dog, it's such a powerful movie and that is one of the best scenes, the film is full of such voyeristic settings.

Also, the reinserted scene into Leon where he goes to the restaurant with Mathilda and she gets drunk and out of control, it's so wonderful and shows how really mature and multi-layered her character is and that age and wisdom really do not always go together (unless you're born in US :lol: )

Tailor of Panama is another great one, I love the scene when Osnard played by Pierce Brosnan carries the two heavy suitcases full of money through the corn fields from his stuck car to the other, they're so heavy his hands are straight and just his legs make quick little steps, it's kind of amusing and realistic and so great, he's just vicious and keeps his eyes on the target.

Blade Runner has a powerful scene when Rachael asks Deckard if he'll come after her, hunt her, kill her, with that great new music by Vangelis in the director's cut.

The opening and closing scenes of Resident Evil are just awesome, great zoom in and out scored by Manson, Marilyn not Shirley.

Of course the Strange Days' opening first person view sequence is historicaly the longest in any movie and is a great technical and dramatic achievement.

Also, Stargate SG-1's season 1's episode There But For The Grace of God when Daniel transfers to another dimension where Goa'uld have attacked earth and we see all the major characters die in the ending sequence, and then the computer's woman voice counts down to self destruct as everything quiets down, it's great, I love it.

There is also a funny cameo by Alec Baldwin in the recent Eddie Murphy flop Adventures of Pluto Nash, he plays an aquitted mob boss and his performance and digs at the obvious italian mafia lines are so funny and really standout in such a mediocre movie.

That's it for right now off the top of my head, there are dozens more and I'm sure you've all got your favorites.

Randy van Rijn

Auditioning
The Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken scene in 'True Romance'... If you've seen it you know what I mean... 'I'm a lying?'

The Truckchase from 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark'... Still one of my favourite chases in one of my favourite films... DVD please!

The arrival of the mothership and the 'musical conversation' between the ship and the humans in 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind'... Beautiful!

The openingsscene in 'From Dusk 'Till Dawn' (including the credits)... The 'mongoloide' dialogue still cracks me up.

The Will Smith/Martin Lawrence opening in Bad Boys... I love the way the tension builds up between the two of them and how they use it to stop the carjackers...

There are more, but they don't come to mind right now... Maybe later...

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Sean Connery as the returning king in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Danny Glover's cameo in Maverick, complete with the trademark Lethal Weapon music.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
It only takes Sam Elliot about five minutes in each movie to steal the show in The Big Lebowski and We Were Soldiers .

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Someone has to be the first to mention the scene in the taxi between Terry (Marlon Brando) and Charley (Rod Steiger) in On the Waterfront. It’s poignant and heartbreaking, just on the edge of pathos, but not quite. Steiger, who has essentially betrayed Brando tries to lay the blame elsewhere:

“You coulda’ been another Billy Conn, and that skunk we got you as a manager, he brought you along too fast.”
But Brando, by now knows the truth:
“It wasn’t him, Charley, it was you. Remember that night in the Garden when you came down to my dressing room and you said, ‘Kid, this ain’t your night.’ My night. I coulda’ taken Wilson apart. So what happens? He gets the title shot and what do I get? A one-way ticket to Palooka-ville.
And then he really gets personal:
“You was my brother, Charley, you shoulda’ looked out for me—you shoulda’ taken care of me just a little bit.”
And now Steiger starts making excuses:
“Oh I had some bets down for you. You saw some money.”
But Brando knows the real issue is not money:
“You don’t understand. I coulda’ had class. I coulda’ been a contender. I coulda’ been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am,…”
And Marlon really brings it home:
´´…let’s face it. It was you Charley.”

This scene has everything: it sums up the entire story in a few lines, is made even more powerful by two outstanding performances and has contributed the great one liner, “I couda’ been a contender” to the lexicon. Slightly less well known is the fact that while Steiger stayed to read his lines for Brando’s close-ups, is the fact that Brando left Steiger on his own for Rod’s close-ups.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
- The Miracle Max and Valerie scenes in The Princess Bride are priceless, with some of the funniest dialogue in the film. "Have fun stormin' tha castle!"
- The cafe scene between Hanna and McCauley in Heat is the first (and only?) time DeNiro and Pacino share the same scene "together".
- Captain Koons' "watch" monologue in Pulp Fiction. Must I say more? "And now, little man, I give the watch to you."
- William Wallace's cry of "Freeeeeeeeedom!" in Braveheart always brings a tear to my eye.
- The scene between William Munny and The Schofield Kid outside of town in Unforgiven just destroys the traditional western film.
8^B

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
The scene between William Munny and The Schofield Kid outside of town in Unforgiven just destroys the traditional western film.
Oh yeah, another one of my favorites. "It don't seem real, how he ain't never gonna breathe again, ever. And the other one too. All account of pullin' a trigger."

"It's a helluva thing killin' a man. You take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna have."

Man, I can't wait until Sept. 24 (I think that's the date.)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Tom Baker' scene in Dungeons and Dragons.
:D :b
Phil
(I'm just kidding, you know. Don't look at me that way!)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I'm a Dick Miller fan myself...my ultimate 'cameo man'.
Loved him in Gremlins/Gremlins 2 (although he was more of a supporting character), The 'burbs, Innerspace, Terminator, Night of the Creeps, Chopping Mall etc.
Seeing the Monster Joe's Truck & Tow deleted scene from the new Pulp Fiction:CE really brought a smile to my face.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
- The cafe scene between Hanna and McCauley in Heat is the first (and only?) time DeNiro and Pacino share the same scene "together".
Oh yeah, but from that movie I'd pick the one before that, when Pacino is following De Niro on Hollywood 101 freeway and Moby's New Dawn Fades remake plays, it's awesome!

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Hell, Sam Elliot stole We Were Soldiers with his very first line!
Sam should have been the colonel. If he had bigger box office presence he would have been. Him in the lead would have made an average good movie, really pretty good. His character is the type that if you encountered him in boot camp, a young recruit would have literally pissed his pants.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
-Doc Brown and "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads!" in the first "Back To The Future"

-Mel Gibson and Gary Busey's "Shot At The Title" from the first "Lethal Weapon"

-Eddie Murphy giving the OK sign to the camera in "Beverly Hills Cop"

-The greatly choreographed, energetic dance number to "The Old Landmark" in "The Blues Brothers"

-Danny DeVito's phone prank in "Ruthless People"

-Robin Williams doing the voice of the officer stationed in Poon Tang in "Good Morning, Vietnam"

-Jessica Rabbit's seductive entrance while singing "Why Don't You Do Right?" in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

-Humphrey Bogart's farewell to Ingrid Bergman in "Casablanca"

-Gene Kelly just dancing and "Singin' In The Rain"

-"Up In Smoke" and "I Like Me" from "It's Always Fair Weather"

-Sheila E. performing "Hollyrock" in "Krush Groove"

-Wesley Snipes at the beginning of "New Jack City" ("Money Talks and Bullshit Runs A Marathon, So See Ya And I Wouldn't Want To Be Ya")

-"Say Hello To My Little Friend" from "Scarface"

-"Le Jazz Hot" from "Victor/Victoria"

-Rosanna Arquette as Madonna and vice versa for the first time in "Desperately Seeking Susan"

-David Patrick Kelly taunting Michael Beck and crew in "The Warriors"

-David Byrne in a big suit from "Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense"

-Judd Nelson talking about "social" in "The Breakfast Club"

-Nelson again, this time making stepmother Anita Morris' life a living Hell in a grocery store in "Blue City"

-Electricity shooting from the TV in "Poltergeist"

-Griffin Dunne screaming for God's mercy in "After Hours"

-A drunken MGM lion being prodded to action by Bob and Doug McKenzie in "Strange Brew"

-Phoebe Cates and the swimming pool in "Fast Times At Ridgemont High"

-Matthew Broderick and his speech about isms in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"

-Sharon Stone crossing and uncrossing her legs in "Basic Instinct"

-Arnold Schwarzenegger confronting Richard Dawson in "The Running Man"

-Kermit The Frog meeting John Landis in "The Muppets Take Manhattan"

-Dan Aykroyd and "Those Men Wanted To Have Sex With Me!" in "Trading Places

-Ariel singing "Part Of Your World" in "The Little Mermaid"

-Belle and The Beast in a ballroom dancing to their theme in "Beauty And The Beast"

-Wendy O. Williams branding an inmate and Sherri Stoner (model for Ariel and Belle) aghast at what happenned to her kitten in "Reform School Girls"

-Any scene with Don "No Soul" Simmons in "Amazon Women On The Moon"

-E.T and Elliot flying past the moon in "E.T"

-Joe Pantoliano meeting a grisly fate in "Downtown"

-Haviland Morris coming on to Zach Galligan in "Gremlins 2: The New Batch"

-TOPLESS MEG RYAN in "The Doors"

-Boiling the bunny in "Fatal Attraction"

-Erika Eleniak popping out of a cake in "Under Siege" (the only worthwhile part of that movie)

-Kathleen Turner and her admitting of a love of not-that-smart men in "Body Heat"

-Any scene of interaction between Turner and Tony Perkins in "Crimes Of Passion"

-Anthony Geary flicking the switch on a pompous Kevin McCarthy in "UHF"

-Andrew McCarthy and Kim Catrall in 80s finery dancing to "Do You Dream About Me?" in "Mannequin"

-Hamton Pig and Plucky Duck picking up a chainsaw-wielding lunatic in "Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation" (yeah, direct-to-video, I know, but it SHOULD'VE gone to theaters, by God)

-EDIT: In honor of my tag line, both the dialogue exchange in my sig and Melanie Griffith vacuuming topless in "Working Girl"

-EDIT 2: "I'm As Mad As Hell..." in "Network"

-EDIT 3: Geena David in a pink see-through bikini meeting Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans for the first time in "Earth Girls Are Easy"

-EDIT 4: Shelley Long running from Peter Coyote in "Outrageous Fortune"

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Based on that list, what would you make of my movie tastes?

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
One of my favorites is Ned Beatty's quick turn in Network. He just blows his scene out of the water with a perfect delivery. I could watch just that scene every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks