What's new

best speakers. (1 Viewer)

leenewton1

Auditioning
Real Name
lee newton
My home theater receiver just went out so im buying a new system,my old speakers were some crappy sony's and an old pioneer receiver.Im about to buy a pioneer VSX919AHK 120 Watt 7 Channel A/V Receiver and im looking for some good speakers to go with it.im on a budget right now so im starting off with some good towers,ive been looking all over the place for some good front speakers but im mind boggled by all the choices,do you guys know of a good set for around $400-500 a pair,i dont want to spend a load of money as we just watch t.v and the occasional movie but i like my room to sound good.
thanks

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
Some options below....

Elemental Designs

Several choices here...
Floor-standing Speakers at Crutchfield.com

and here....
FRYS.com

here too...
Tower Speakers-Audio Advisor

...and many more options in local stores I'm sure. Listen to as many as you can, find a sound you like then ask questions about them. I will bet many here have suggestions for sources for the units you like or a very close match and sometimes it can save several $'s.

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

leenewton1

Auditioning
Real Name
lee newton

just out of curiosity what do you think of the Energy Take Classic 5.1 package? i know its a different way to go but ive heard fantastic reviews about these.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
take classic 5.1 is a good budget option for someone who wants surround now and can't wait to build a system. it's a great example of why not to bother with bose. again, not because bose are so horrible but because for a fraction of the price you can get this set which will sound as good or better to most ears (it's all subjective).

the main problem with this set is that, like the bose and most mini-sat solutions, the crossover is set just a bit too high, which makes the sub a bit more localized. in other words, there are occasions when you will notice the presence of the sub when you otherwise wouldn't with a crossover set below 100hz.

another benefit of the take classic 5.1 is that it is much more upgradeable than the bose systems. so as you can afford to, you can replace the individual speakers and sub.

if you are planning on sticking with two speakers for a while, you may be a genuine candidate for towers. but if you're thinking on filling out the other channels soon, i'd look for bookshelves over towers.

just my 2¢...

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
I haven't listened to them. I have no comment on other reviews. I still say, YOU have to listen and find what you like.

leenewton1

Auditioning
Real Name
lee newton

Thanks for getting back,yeah i kinda thought that about speaker packages,you just cant get the sound you want from them,i just threw it out there as i read so much about them been good but i am going for some front floorstanding speakers first and gradually build a system.i dont want anything too expensive for now so i am still looking for a pair around 5 or 600.
ive had my eyes on these

Energy - C 500 - Tower Speaker-Audio Advisor

Elemental Designs

do you have any more suggestions?

thanks lee.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Energy C series is a very good value right now as they are being closed out to make way for their replacement models. Very well engineered and built. But they do have a rather dark and soft sounding mid-range, which I prefer, compared to most speakers. Kind of the exact opposite of most Polk models which are rather harsh sounding IMO.

But they are a very good speaker. I have a pair of the small C-50 bookshelves I bought so my brother could here them.

Right now you can get the C-200's, C-100 center and C-50's @ AudioAdvisor for $385 plus shipping.

Another tower option is the Infinity Primus P-362 which can often be found on sale at Fry's for $129 each. And once in a great while, $99. Add the C-350 center and P 142/152's for surrounds later on.

Boston Acoustics C-226 towers can be had on the net for under $300 + shipping but the build quality isn't quite as good as some others and they can't be returned. All sales final.

But in the $500 a pair price range you might want to consider going with a higher quality bookshelf. Most of the added cost of a tower is for the cabinet. But this comes from a guy who owns towers so...

leenewton1

Auditioning
Real Name
lee newton

thanks gene,ive set myself up with a infinity set u.
2 p362's a pc350 and 2 p152's for rear surround,ive listened to the infinitys and they sound awesome together,thanks for your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks