Best Speakers under 2K? (and more questions)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Maher, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Tom_Maher

Tom_Maher Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to replace my entire audio system for my hometheater within the next month or so. I have a max budget of 3 grand, so im looking to break it down as max 1 grand for receiver and max 2 grand for speakers. For the receiver, I am looking at mostly the Onkyo 797 or Denon 3802, however, any other suggestions would be appreciated though. For the speakers, I am looking mostly at Atlantic Technology and Klipsch. I have the Klipsch Promedia 4.1s for my computer and like the sound, and I have heard very good things about Atlantic Technology. Are there any other speaker companies, especially considering the receivers in my price range, that I should consider? Also, is it best to stick with one manufacturer for all the speakers (so they are timbre matched?) or is it possible to mix and match for things like the subwoofer? I will most likely make the purchase by the end of July, so is there anything new coming out I should wait for? Also, unfortunately, there isn't any store around me that has any of the speakers i am considering so i am unable to do an actual listen (seems im in Sony and Pioneer land out here[​IMG]) Thank you very much for your help!

2. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

boston acoustics vr-m series.

3. Dan Cabral

Dan Cabral Stunt Coordinator

Klipsch Legends are pretty sweet. I don't know a single person who's not happy with theirs.
    'course, they're discontinued, but that only means they can be had at bargain prices. [​IMG]

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

nOrh 4.0s are excellent. Swan Diva 4.1 or 5.1 video package and a HSU VTF-3 could be within your budget. Generally you want the speakers to be the same brand and line but the sub can be from a different manufacturer.

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

In your price range there are endless possibilities. I am sure you will get a wide variety of options to look at. The Front 3 speakers really should match. The rears are not as important, but should be similar. The sub makes no difference what manufacturer it comes from. Find the best you can.
    I think it is very important to listen to many speakers before buying. Try to do some research on what people suggest and compile a list that you want to listen to. I don't know where you live, but I would hope you can find a place to listen to the speakers within a couple of hours drive. It would be worth a drive to find the speaker you like best.
    My recommendation:
    Paradigm Monitor series.
    Monitor 7 fronts
    CC-370 center
    ADP-370 (dipole) or Mini Monitors (monopole) surrounds
    Paradigm PW-2200(sticking to Paradigm) or SVS(Order online) sub.
    Unfortunatly, Paradigm's have to be bought from an authorized dealer. Go to www.paradigm.com to find a dealer near you and check the specs of the Monitor line. If you live near Canada, Paradigms can be had much cheaper if you cross the border, making them a steal for the price.

6. Matt_Briol

Matt_Briol Agent

Klipsch referance or legands series would be the way to go. The Denon 3802 (great receiver btw) can be found for under $800.

Denon 3802 $800
    Klipsch RF-3 $500
    Klipsch RC-3 $369
    Klipsch RS-3 $375
    SVS 20-39CS+ $899

Total $2943

7. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

B&W speakers:
    602 S3 mains = $600
    601 S3 rears = $450
    LCR60 = $500
    SVS 20-39PCi = $549
    3802 = $850 (authorized dealer discount price)

You should be able to get about 10-15% off the B&Ws so with state tax (if any) you are right in at $3k give or take a few bucks.

Go listen to other speakers is my last piece of advice. Paradym, Dynaudio, Monitor Audio, Energy are some of the well liked vendors and have series in your price range.

8. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Try giving the new Rocket line a look. If they are indeed even slightly better than Divas, they would be a steal at one of their package discounts. www.rocketloudspeakers.com
    If you buy, please report back here with your impressions.

9. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

All used

B&W N805
    Dynauio contour 1.8
    Dynaudio contour 1.3SE
    B&W N804 my friend got them for $1200 that bastard
    Revel F-30 if you want to spend $400 more

10. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I agree with Bob

"B&W N804 my friend got them for $1200 that bastard"

Do you mean he got "A" (meaning 1) 804 for that price??

11. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Used speakers are also a great way to go as Bruce mentioned. I picked up my amp and center that way and got them at abou 50% of their original prices.

BTW, my recommendation of speakers was based on personal experience. Great value and I've heard nothing but good things about the 3802. I recommended that receiver to two people and both ended up getting it and loving it.

N804's for $1200? Forget bastid....he's a lucky @#$%&*! You can't even get used N805's for that price. If I could, I would be all over those. No such luck for me. Settled for CDM1NTs after living with my 600 series system.

12. Jonathan K

Jonathan K Stunt Coordinator

Rocket! Woohoo!! What an interesting new speaker line, poised to send norh, axiom, everyone in their price range scrambling, lol.. Diva already was well-respected for being an incredible internet-diret lineup, and now they figured out how to make it even better! Cool! And the LOOK! Looks like those Polk Lsi with the exact same tweeter at a higher price point isn't gonna be all that great either, lol... it seems like those polks aren't gonna be all that -- the rockets, for one thing, LOOK a lot better, and I expect that the curved baffle and higher build quality and lower price of those rockets will whoop the Lsi too...

I think i have found a new personal favorite speaker lineup, folks...