Best speakers money can buy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_Carlson, May 13, 2002.

1. Jim_Carlson

Jim_Carlson Auditioning

I just wanted some opinions on what are the best: pair of mains, center, surround, sub speakers that money can buy.

No theoretical money limit.

2. MarkFrab

MarkFrab Agent

It depends on your tastes and the target room.

Personally, I like the B&W Nautilus 800 line of speakers. If I could afford it, I'd have Signature 800s in front with N802s as rears with a Signature HTM for the center.

I also really like the Revels and the Martin Logan lines. However, the MLs wouldn't work in my room - they are very position dependent. And I liked the highs just a bit more on the B&W vs. the Revels.

I've never heard the ML Statements E2s, but those are highly reviewed. I've never heard the true B&W Nautilus either. The Nautilus is +-.5db from 25hz-20khz, and -6db at 10hz-25khz.

Both of these last two are insanely expensive - if you just want to burn cash, go for these.

3. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

MarkFrab, why would you compromise with N802s in the rear(cost-no-object of course).

Mine would be Triad inroom Platinums LCR, Triad gold dipole surrounds. SVS SS subs to match the zebrawood Platimums.

5. MarkFrab

MarkFrab Agent

Bhagi,
    Well, there's cost-no-object fantasy and cost-no-object reality. Er, yeah. :b
    The thing is, I could see myself eventually owning the system I described. True, we're talking a $45K speaker system - but I could, potentially, actually buy a system like that.
    A fantasy cost-no-object set of 6 Nautilus speakers with 24 monoblocks to drive them (for a Chesky-style multi-channel setup) - we're talking $300K. And I haven't even added in the "Transparent" speaker cables and interconnects yet! However, with a -6db point of 10hz, [rant]we don't need no steenkin' subwoofers![/rant] [​IMG]
    Sure, if all you're doing is watching movies you could save $50K and get a 5-channel set up - but it's just money right? Might as well get all 6! [​IMG]
    Ahhh, if only!

6. Michael Marklund

Michael Marklund Stunt Coordinator

Umm, there's always BOSE.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Seriously though, I'd be after a huge CAT system or the Wilsons.
    MM

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Since money is no object, you'd want to build a custom room for a particular speaker. Something like Martin-Logan's Statement theater or this little system (center channel extra).

8. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

I shouldn't even bother, but you could try this:

Eggleston Works: Ivy

Jmlabs: Grand Utopia

Red Rose Music: Revelation

Dynaudio: Temptation

Revel: Salons

What waste of time.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Mirage just came out with some beautiful new speakers, I forget what they are called, but they are MSRP $35k a pair. They are some kind of synthetic granite, house an impressive number of drivers, and still manage to look like a work of art. At that price/pr, I don't think too many places will be carrying them for demos.

10. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Best speakers I ever heard were the EdgarHorn Titans and Edgar Seismic horn sub. Next best would be Servo-Drive Unity horns with Contrabass subs. That's for new turnkey stuff. Next best would be 5 old Altec A7-500s. Nice A7-500s should run about $500-$700 each and will sound better than 99.9% of the speakers out there at any price. My opinion ya understand.

11. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Yep, I'll put my vote in for the Nautilus Signature 800 series ALL ZE WAY AROUND[​IMG]
    I had an opportunity to audition a pair of these in Albuquerque at Christmas time, the sound was phenomenal. A two channel set-up powered by Krell monoblocks. Sensational sound!!!
    I would also put in a vote for Avataguarde's Trio setup with BAT tube amplifiers...heard this set-up in Hawaii a year ago, UNREAL!!!
    It's tough to suggest speakers I've never heard like the Wilsons or the Revels, but I'm sure they sound good. Anybody notice in the Mel Gibson chick flick, "What Women Want" that he has a pair of the Revels in his apartment?
    Jeremy

12. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I'll take five of these, with one being used for behind a good perf screen for the center:
    http://www.dynaudiousa.com/products/...dence/evid.htm
    So far I've spent $425,000. Now add the Krell amps and some super high-quality cabling and I'm probably out around $600,000.
    I've heard the evidence in action and it seemed really odd to listen to a speaker that odd and with your eyes closed you could not locate the speakers within the room!
    Mike

13. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I still want a pair of Bob Carver's Amazing Loudspeakers. Truly a work of audio art!

14. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Dunlavy VI's all around. Room would have to be huge, though

15. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I'm with FrabMan. Since we're dabbling in pure fantasy. I'd get these puppies all the way around.
    [​IMG]

16. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

17. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

The Dynaudio Temptations listed are way up there. Either the Evidence or the Temptations would do any room (that's large enough) justice.

Active ATC's are simply incredible.

Bhagi's Triad Platinum suggestion was solid.

My ears cerainly match John Sturge's. Great speakers all the way around.

I would agree that the Wilsons aren't in the same league as many of these speakers. Way overrated. I wonder how many have the same impression of Wilsons after they've heard them. It's amazing what a high price tag can do for perceived performance. Sort of like some mucho expensive amps that I like to refer to as "faceplates", but that's another matter altogether.

18. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

19. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I'd probably go N800 all around as well.

Word to the wise though, from what i have heard about Krell I wouldn't use their amps. My B&W dealer who use to carry Krell switched to Rotel because of Krell's failure rate and horrible service.

Apparently around 50% of Krell equipment had problems and it tooks months for servicing. Bad VERY bad, especially considering the price!

20. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Price is no object?

Hmmm.....

Either the Soundlab Ultimate-1s for a full range ESL experience second to none.

Or...

Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush all the way around.

Regards,