Best Speakers for Music?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_Woods, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Ryan_Woods

Ryan_Woods Auditioning

There are a ton of choices out there, and its really confusing as to what I should buy. I'm looking for a pair of speakers (bookshelf, floor standing, or other) for around $500 (give or take a little). I have no brand biased, I'm open to anything. These speakers sole purpose would be for music. I listen to virtually every type of music, however my true love is classic rock. FYI, the speakers will be driven by a classic monster, the Sansui 9090DB. It delivers a real 125W per channel, and I still think its better than virtually every stereo receiver on the market today regardless of price.
    The speakers I am contemplating are:
    Acoustic Energy - Aegis Evo One
    Ascend Acoustics - CBM-170
    Athena - AS-B2, AS-F1
    Axiom - M2i, M3i, and M22i
    Dahlquist - QX6
    Energy - C-3
    JBL - S38
    JMLab - Chorus 706
    Paradigm - Studio 20
    Polk - LSi7
    Rocket - RS150
    Thank-you for your advice...I am stumped. [​IMG]

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Out of those, I would audition the Studio 20 and Dahlquist QX6. Ending up with the studio [​IMG] LOL

3. Ryan_Woods

Ryan_Woods Auditioning

Audiotioning them is part of the problem. Unfortunately I'll only be able to audition the Energy, JBL, JMLab, Paradigm, and Polk. I don't have retailers for the others near me. [​IMG]

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

If you want to add one to your list, I'd really recommend you audition Vienna Acoustics. I loved every second of the 45 minutes or so I auditioned them. And, they're very nice on the eyes as well as the ears.

5. Ryan_Woods

Ryan_Woods Auditioning

Feel free to add what you like. I think I'm leaning toward the Stuido 20's or Energy C-3...although I heard the Axiom is very similar to the C-3 at half the price.

6. Brandon Blair

Brandon Blair Stunt Coordinator

My favorite by far on your list is the JMlab speakers. Go with whatever sounds best to you, but definitely give the Chorus speakers a good audition.

Good Luck,
    Brandon

7. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

You have a good list there, so I doubt you'll be disappointed in your choice. I am quite happy with my Ascend CBM-170s, and I highly recommend them.

I'm a bit surprised by the Vienna Acoustics recommendation - their cheapest pair would run double the stated $500 budget.

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Oops, :b I am a bad reader. I didn't notice the $500 budget. Sorry.

9. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

You may add PSB 5T's to the list also.

10. StephanB

StephanB Auditioning

I use 2or4 Accoustic Research 206 with 120watts in solid cherry case paid $ 40 a piece on ubid and use the AR centerchannel 150 watt paid 89.- and a 200 watt KLH subwoofer for music i receive from DirectTV over my Toshiba DST-3000 HDDR Receiver for my plasma tv connectet with fiberoptik to kenwood 4080, even those are cheap speakers the digital Sound comes so clear on stereo3, i think it can't be better, well those are my 2cents on this subject.

11. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

I hate to throw you off, but with that budget, I'd lean toward a finished pair of DIY speakers. Acoustic Visions, GR Research, Rutledge Audio, Sound Clearing House, and Selah Audio all sell fine speakers in your price range. If you check out their websites, you'll find well-received speakers like the Adire HE10.1, GR Research AV/1, the Fabulous Tweeter Brothers K05B50, the Selah Audio MG95, among others, all around $500.
    In all likelihood, the speakers you listed above will have a higher WAF, but I can't imagine any one of them sounding better than a finished DIY speaker at this pricepoint. (Or at any pricepoint, for that matter. [​IMG] )

12. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

What, no B&W's ??

-- John

13. Ryan_Woods

Ryan_Woods Auditioning

I have a Paradigm HT already, and the dealer also sells B&W. I auditioned both, and really didn't like B&W for some reason or another. I think I'm one of the few people that dislikes them.

14. larry crimmins

If I had a budget of $500 for speakers for a 2 channel setup and assuming a small to medium sized room, I think I have to agree with Peter from Massachusetts above. A pair of the Sound Clearing House K05B50 assembled but w/o finish are $160 plus shipping. You could fill in the lower end with the PartsExpress DLS 10" for a little over $100 delivered. Speaker wire - Mapleshade Clearview while really weird looking is extraordinary for the price of $85 plus shipping. That still leaves you ~ $50 for stands and a decent sub cable.
    That would give you a highly detailed, musical setup for the price IMO.

15. Ryan_Woods

Ryan_Woods Auditioning

I think I've decided on the Paradigm Studio 20. The guy at the dealer said he'd give them to me for $629 and no tax. But the Axiom M22i and Dahlquist QX6 are really intriguing me. Do you guys think that the Studio 20's are worth about twice as much as the Axiom and Dahlquist?

16. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

No. I auditioned the Studio/20s about a year ago and preferred the sound of the Axiom M3ti then, though the differences between the two were minor. If I had to choose between the M22ti and the Studio/20, I'd save the money and buy the Axiom with no reservation whatsoever.

17. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Agent

I think the Axiom's and Dahlquist will both hold up well against the Studio-20's. I have a pair of Axiom M80ti's that I'm currently auditioning and I bought my son a pair of Dahlquist QX-9's for Christmas, so I'm familiar with both lines, but with their floor standing models. However, I got the QX-9's shipped for ~$550, so they are within your price range if you would be willing to go for a floor standing model.

I personally like the Dahlquist, I just can't believe how good these speakers sound for so little. However, many prefer the Axiom's and both do sound very different. It all boils down to your taste. One good thing about the Axiom's is that you can audition them in your home for 30 days and if you don't like them you can send them back and only be out the shipping (but they are in Canada).

18. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

The Ascend will beat Axiom M3ti with no problem, haven't heard the M22ti. I just replaced a Paradigm mini-monitor and atoms HT set with Ascend CBM-170's there is no comparision. I'd like to A/B them with some Studio 20's. Since, the 20's are on everyone's short list.

Read the Ascend reviews in the present issue of the $ensible Sound and at cheaphometheater.com.

If you can't afford the Hsu sub now get the partsexpress.com DLS10 for $100.

19. Ryan_Woods

Ryan_Woods Auditioning

OOOps...Double Post.

20. Ryan_Woods

Ryan_Woods Auditioning

What about the Adire Kanada? I heard its very good for $500.