What's new

Best Speakers for living room budget - $ 10k to $ 15K. (1 Viewer)

Sharad

Auditioning
I want to build a good quality home theater for my living room.

Budget is about $10,000 - $15,000.

Please recommend good speakers and receiver.

Someone recommended Wharfedale floor speakers. Are they good? Can i get better speakers with my budget?

Please help.

Thanks.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Just walk into any custom install home theater store flash that $10,000 -$15,000 check and you will get all the assistance you will need. With that kind of money to spend listen to as many high end speaker systems as you can and choose those which sound best to you.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'd look at Onkyo for receivers: http://www.us.onkyo.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver
You can get them cheaper than the prices on their page, at Amazon.com (usually). They are a factory authorized dealer.

For speakers, I, personally, would go for the SVS speakers, which includes an outstanding subwoofer: http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-mts01.cfm
They are an internet only company, so the only way to hear them, is to buy them, unless you know someone with some. They have a very good return policy, in case you don't like them. But, I haven't heard of anyone returning them yet. People also say that they have outstanding customer service.

Just a couple of ideas. I'm sure others will recommend other stuff too.
Good luck with whatever you do.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I agree with Bill, if you are going to drop 10-15K (we don't know if that includes the display) I'd be visiting the high end stores. If that figure includes the display then that changes the game a bit.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Some general suggestions. My opinion when people are getting into an area like 15K, they spend a lot of the money all wrong. I would invest as much as 10K in the speakers (including sub). You can get an excellent Onkyo (probably a 3007) from NewEgg.com or OneCall.com for about 1.5k, maybe less. $500 for an Oppo BD-83 Blu-Ray player (that's an automatic to me) and you still have 3K for display and cables. Get any cables you need from Monoprice.com and you'll get excellent stuff for a song.

I would go with 1 or 2 SVS Ultra subs (depends on your room), but I'm not sure I would go with their speakers. My first rec to hear is Vandersteen. Paradigm has good stuff in that range too. It may come down to what is available in your area. You need to listen and decide what speakers you like rather than ask others what to buy.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
What size room is your living room? That can be one of the biggest issues.

How much do you listen to music versus home theater?

What movies/sports/TV do you watch?

Spending $10K or more on a system can be great though it would be worthless if you watch old movies or listen to music that does not require a more refined system.

Personally, I have a Rocket based system with a Yamaha receiver. I'd like to upgrade the sub and speakers but am happy with what I have. Rocket speakers are available from AV123.com.

You can get great options from internet only dealers (see if someone in your area has them available for you to listen to) but not everyone is comfortable ordering them that way. Feel free to contact the companies and ask as many questions as you would like. They are there to help but remember, they are trying to make a sale.

Visit higher end dealers to see what speakers and sound you will like and enjoy. Take your time and do not purchase right away. Have an ultimate goal in mind to avoid wasteful spending.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks