best speakers for around $900/pr ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Brom, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Jeff_Brom

Jeff_Brom Extra

I'm looking at the Paradigm Monitor 11s and i'm just wondering if there's anything else in this price range that is considered equal or better...

thanks,

Jeff

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Is the $900 firm or are you able to do anything under $1K? Also is this for HT or music only?

Assuming you could go for anything under $1K:

Swan Diva 5.1

nOrh SM 6.9

AV Reality AVinci One

The Paradigms will be very good, along with Def Techs, B&Ws, and Dynaudio.

3. Jeff_Brom

Jeff_Brom Extra

well, i would certainly spend the extra $100 if i could hear a difference... the big problem i have is doing the comparisons... one store has paradigm, another store has monitor audio, a third store has Klipsch... different rooms, amps, cd players, cables, etc... very hard to compare...

right now i have 6 NHT super zero's and a sub one... this setup actually does alright for movies... 2 channel music is where i'm lacking... that's where it starts to sound like a sub with a set of tweeters... so i guess the emphasis would be on music, not movies... but i'd be very dissapointed if they sounded bad in some way for movies...

thanks,

Jeff

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Are you planning on getting a matching center channel with whatever mains you buy? Because you do not want to have Monitor11 mains with a SuperZero center.

Also, you might think about getting a pair of high-quality stand-mount style speakers and putting the difference into a better sub. Some may argue that a $500 pair of stand-mounts plus a Hsu VTF-2 will do better than upgrading your mains to something like Monitor11's and keeping the NHT sub. Just food for thought.

5. Jeff_Brom

Jeff_Brom Extra

yeah, i know the superzero center won't be ideal... depending on how bad it is, i'll upgrade now or in a while... the deal with the sub is, right now i live in an apartment... i can't have crazy loud bass anyway, so even the subone needs to be turned down... this leaves me with a very thin sound... i'm looking for a set of main speakers that do well on their own so that at night i can just turn the sub off without losing everything below 150Hz...

basically, i want to buy the mains from a speaker family that will last a long time... i can add a (better) sub to it in the future, but i don't want to buy a second set of satellites when i know down the road i'll be wanting floorstanding mains...

thanks,

Jeff

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd actually say Monitor 7s would be plenty, or even 9s, but that's your call...then use the extra cash and grab a CC-370 at the same time.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Given how much more Paradigm costs in the US in comparison to Canada I would seriously consider the Diva, or Norh suggested above. They would be better compared to the Reference Studio line than the Monitor line from Paradigm. Given they cost as much as the Monitor line for you I'd say that makes them one hell of a good deal.

For comparison I could pick up a pair of Monitor 7 mains for $630 CDN. That would be $390 USD.

8. Adarsh Daswani

I paid less than $900 for my Paradigm Reference Studio/60's. While I got a great deal, you SHOULD be able to find a dealer to sell you a set of Studio/40's at that price.

I'd take them over the Paradigm Monitor line any day.

-A.

9. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

10. John Garcia

John
    Music is lacking because you have the Zeros. If you do not properly cross over the Zeros and the sub, then you will have issues. The main problem with the Zeros is their lack of good midrange and the fact that they need a fair amount of power to drive them properly (as they are sealed and have relatively low sensitivity). If you stepped up to Super Ones or the new SB1s, I would think you would be OK.

Basically, what I'm saying is, it isn't exactly necessary to start from the ground up. Tweaking and proper setup can make a bigger difference than you might think.

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

You should be able to get the Studio 40s plus Studio CC for $1000 easily. If you are lucky, you might get the 60's instead.

--

Holadem

12. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

13. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Jeff,

Given that information, I'd take a serious look at the nOrh SM 6.9s. You may end up wanting to keep your NHT package for HT and work on building a dedicated music system. If you are planning on replacing your present system, you may want to go with nOrh wood 4.0s all around and a Prism 4.1 center for the rear surround.

14. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

You should look at this thread discussing Dynaudios;
    speakers
    BruceD

15. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

I was wondering when someone would mention Dynaudios. For $1k, I don't think I'd be considering Paradigm. Here are some speaker manufacturers to research, if you're interested - AFAIK all of them have very good speakers in your price range. Magazine reviews and www.audioreview.com would be a good place to start.
    JM Reynaud
    Dynaudio
    Triangle
    Sonus Faber
    Magnepan
    Spendor
    ... and the list goes on. A lot also depends on what you're looking for from your speakers. For that kind of money, I'd advise listening to a wide range of speakers with different characteristics before you buy anything. I haven't heard any of these yet, but I've been reading up on them, and the above list should sound pretty different from the Paradigm/PSB/B&W kind of sound. Whether you like their sound or not is something that cannot be predicted.

16. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Another brand that doesn't come up much, but which produces some excellent speakers is Tannoy. Their Saturn series of speakers are designed for music and HT. Personally, I chose the Tannoy's (S6's) over the B&W603S2's. The Tannoy's use a coaxially mounted tweeter (instead of a dustcap in the midrange driver, there is a tweeter with waveguide) for excellent imaging and have excellent bass too (no boom). Of course, speaker's are a very personal choice, but I have noticed that generally B&W, Tannoy and some other UK companies produce speakers with a less aggressive top-end and warmer midrange than some companies like Paradigm and PSB. Dyn's are great too. I don't know about Canada, but outside the UK, Tannoy are not that well known and as such, you may be able to get a good deal on a pair (S6's are around 1-1.2K). The matching centre is awesome too, no woof-tweet-woof config, but just a woof and coaxially mounted tweet which has excellent dispersion characteristics.

For reviews, check out ecoustics.com, audioXpress.com also had a very good technical review for this speaker series. Audioreview.com also has some good (no dodgy posters) reviews for Tannoy.

Cheers,

Mike

17. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

I think Saurav is on the money here because $1k is no small amount of money to spend on a pair of mains. I can second these because I've heard them:
    Magnepan
    Tannoy
    Dynaudio
    And add these:
    Vandersteen 1c ($785/pr - please listen to these if you can)
    Joseph Audio (seen and heard at CES - not sure of model #)
    Martin Logan (might be something in your price range)
    Take your time and listen - I know it's difficult to compare at different shops on different days but ain't it fun [​IMG] . Enjoy!!!
    Lin

18. John Garcia

John
    What about KEF? I love those Q series with the concentric tweeters. [​IMG]
    Ariel anyone? B&W?

19. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

20. MartyK

MartyK Agent

Take a listen to the Klipsch RF-3 or RF-5.