Best speakers for $300

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Brad Scott, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Agent

Totally objective, I know, but what have you found in your travels to be the best-sounding speakers at the $300 mark?

So far, I'd have to say the Paradigm Mini Monitors.

With so many choices at this pricepoint, I'm curious to know which speakers you have found to exhibit stellar performance for very little green.

2. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Agent

Or maybe the Cambridge SoundWorks Newton Series M60.

3. Scott_Jua

Scott_Jua Stunt Coordinator

B&W DM303s are nice little speakers at that price range. I would suggest checking those out.

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Klipsch Quintets.

5. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

The Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 comes in at $328/pr and would be a top choice. You'll see great reviews for these all over this forum.

6. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I got set of Ascend 170s for a secondary system because I didn't want to spend the money of a pair of my beloved Paradigm Mini-Monitors for a secondary system. With-in a week the 170s replaced the Mini-Monitors in the main system. With the 170s I started to hear brushes on drums, the timpani, breathes taken and in addition to the better detail, voices sounded so much more natural. Imaging is so much more pronounced with the 170s. With movies I notice more definition in background/ambiant sound such as the sounds of silverware and glasses in scenes where the characters are eating. These things I did not hear on the Mini-Monitors.

That said I still consider Mini-Monitors a better value than most other offerings in its price range. There are better values out there if you take the time to work at it.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Axiom M3Ti. More articulate than the Minis (former owner) and cost just under your price at $275 shipped. They definitely do not have the bass of the Minis though.

The Mordaunt Short MS902 or 912 are also in this price range from Accessories for Less and are great performers as well. My 902s shipped, cost me less than the Minis, and they best them in every category except bass extension, where I'd say it is a draw.

If you are adventurous and have any wood working skils, you might want to consider the A/V-1 kit from GR Research They'll end up being more expensive than the others, but there are very few speakers that compare at the price.

I haven't heard the CBM-170, but based on all the praise here, they should be on your list.

8. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Agent

Wow, the Axioms and Ascends really get some good lip-service around here. I know it's somewhat trivial, but I'm a bit put off by the looks of the Ascends. I'm sure they're phenominal, but I have to think about decor as well (unfortunately), and the natural wood finish of the Axioms may work better in our family room.

Thanks for the recommendations.

9. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Brad,

The Ascend's looks are not the best in the world. However, the Axioms' finish are vinyl, not wood, if that matters to you. They do have a variety of very good looking finishes. From what I hear, they'll even send you samples you can look at to see which would best match your decor.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The Cambridge M60 is no slouch. I was actually surprised at how decent it is, and if you can get them on sale or Demo/blemish, they could be a good choice. I used them when I auditioned my Marantz PM7000, and they sounded better than I expected, because I was not nearly as impressed with the MC series speakers.

11. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

12. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Here's a plug for KEF Q1. I have the Q3s, which produce excellent bass for their size (on HT material I get discernable bass into the low 30s), image like crazy due to their concentric Q-series tweeter/midwoof array, have a very lifelike midrange, esp. on voices, and feature a smooth metal-dome tweeter whose break-up resonance is well above the limit of human hearing (32KHz IIRC). Available used in that price range.