What's new

Best speakers for 300-500? (1 Viewer)

AdamS

Grip
Hey guys. I'm looking to buy a new pair of speakers for my computer setup.. Majority of what I need them for is just listening to music/games and occasionally watching a DVD or two... This will not be a surround setup so I'm just looking for a pair of speakers. Preferably in the 300-500 dollar range.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Adam

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Link Removed Check out the M1 monitors. You will honestly be hard pressed to beat them even for $500...unless you built something yourself.

But being for a computer setup, would these be too big for you? If so, check out the Micro's. Brian might even cut you a good deal for two Micro's and powered sub. Worth looking into. :emoji_thumbsup:

AdamS

Grip
thanks for the heads up dan.. a friend of mine recommended the paradigm atoms/titans... anyone else have any comments?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
What will you be using as an amplifier? The sound card can't drive the bookshelf speakers alone. There are a lot of nice bookshelf speakers. Do you have a size limitation of what you want on your desk?

AdamS

Grip
I use a Sony STR-DE625 for my reciever. I also have a Yamaha YST-SW 150 subwoofer.. nothing great but it suits me fine.. My current speakers are infiniti sterlings.. but they're pretty old and one has been blown out for about 4 years now..

As for size constraints I'm really not that sure yet.. I have a 19" monitor that will be sitting on a desk shown in this picture:

(can't post any url's apparently because I haven't been active enough in the forum I guess..)

I would like the speakers to sit on the stands to the side of the monitor but I'm guessing this is a bit too optimistic.. not just for the footprint of the speaker but the fact that the magnets are gonna be quite close to my screen.. So I'm not really sure yet what I'm going to do. Any suggestions are welcome :)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
If the speakers were magnetically sheilded you would not have to worry about the magnets being to close to the screen.

So you do not want them on the table next to the monitor? Off of the table on stands?

In that price range I would look at Ascends and Axioms. You'd be getting audiophile quality sound out of your computer.

AdamS

Grip
Ahhh.. I know about shielding but I am not aware what speakers these days are shielded or not.. I'm sure most "computer specific" speaker sets are shielded.. But unsure of anything else..

If I could get shielded speakers I would put them on the "stands" on the sides of the monitor.. If not I'd feel better having them somewhere further off.. The desk is a corner desk.. About 67" from one side to the other. I'm guessing that kind of rules out having higher stands and putting them to the sides of the desk.. (the speaker sound would be coming from the sides, not really the front)..

Either way I'll check out Ascends and Axioms.. Thanks

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I guess I am not "seeing" the speakers with stands on a desk.

In any case, Ascends and Axioms are shielded, as well as a lot of other bookshelf speakers.

Happy hunting!

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Ascends CBM-170 and Axiom M22. Have heard a great many other speakers as well.

RIght now, I'd say the best deal in your price range is the monitors from Odyssey.

Since they are relatively new speakers, they are just coming out with professional reviews. The reviewer from TNT-Audio.com is writing up a piece that it's the best under $1k speaker out there. Klaus says other reviewers are raving the same in thier upcoming reviews.

I agree! Amazing crisp clarity and soundstage with great bass. Definitely worth the 30 day audition. Definitely a step up from Axiom and Ascend. Definitely!

Klaus has always offered "giant killing" performance with his electronics from the extremely overpriced elite German Symphonic brand. Now he's doing it with speakers. Brilliant.

www.odysseyaudio.com

I put my money where my mouf is. While I have the VMPS RM40 as my reference system, I also have the Odyssey Nightingales as my den system. Total overkill, but who cares! ;) The Odyssey monitors will give you a good taste of the Nightingale sound for sure! I will be selling my Ascends or Axioms for the Odyssey monitors as well. Soon!

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"Definitely a step up from Axiom and Ascend. Definitely!"

Glad to hear there is a speaker that costs $270 more than Ascend 170s, $100 more than the 340 and $200 more than Axiom M22s that is better. Not too many speakers out there that can make that claim. Don't forget to factor in the cost of the the extra power needed for the Epiphany's 86db sensitivity.

David*RT -- I'm not trying to bust your chops and I am happy to see more giant killers coming to market. I'm just trying to point out the performance/price ratio of Axiom and Ascend. I look forward to hearing the Odyssey line if it is as advertised. If they are reaching the same ratio of performance/price as the 170s do then they will be some serious speakers to reckon with at $600. Happy listening.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You might also wish to check out the Rocket RS 150s. They cost $400/pair. I have never done an A/B comparison with any of the speakers mentioned, but in my memory they went a bit lower than the Ascend 170s.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I second the Atom/Titans, but I think that they may be a lttle big...so you might want to check out the Paradigm Cinema Series.

AdamS

Grip
regarding shielding... if i get the speakers with shielding.. how effective is the shielding? My monitor is pretty expensive and even a little magnetism getting through could distort things over time..

Also, to get a better picture about my size constraints... Since I can't post any links just goto google.com and enter in this:

OSI-10342

click the first link.. then click the picture of the desk for a bigger image... That's the desk.. My monitor is 19" and the one in that picture looks 15".. I would like the speakers to go on the left and right sides of the monitor on the elevated areas..

Thanks,
Adam

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Shielding is quite good. Occasionally, I read stores of it failing but not often. Remember people are putting these speakers next to $2000 36" and up CRT also. Those are some expensive sets too.

I think some of the suggestions are too big for your intended use and would look at Atoms/Titans since they are available in white,black, and some wood grains too depending on what color your monitor is.

Also, listen to the speakers you are considering at low volume. On my desk I'm about two feet from the speakers. If I was using the computer for your applications I'd have the volume pretty low.

AdamS

Grip
Thanks for the advice Chris. I am going to take a listen to the atoms and the titans. Luckily since they only come in black shielded it will match my more contemporary decor.

Thanks,
Adam

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
When you take a listen to the atoms and titans (you WILL be impressed, guaranteed), also take a listen to the Mini-monitors, a line up, they are $350/pr USD. You MIGHT even find some V2 studio 20s for less than $500/pr, since they are being replaced by the V3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks