Best speaker wire for my system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce Chang, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

I'm running PSB goldi's power by a jolida 302a tube amp and AH! 4000 cd player. I currently have the Kimber 4pr and want to try biwiring. What cables do you guy reccomend? I'm looking for tighter mids and bass, the highs more laid back and detailed.

2. Michael Hurst

Michael Hurst Stunt Coordinator

Can't speak about your system but Tara Labs have produced the effects your looking for in my system. Always find a dealer who will let you demo cables in your system since cables are very system dependent. Remember cable will provide a subtle difference.

3. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Bruce,
    Chu seems knowledgable about these types of connections and always makes a good point, one that deserves your careful consideration. If he's right, then you save a bunch of money.
    ONE OPTION:
    Bi-wire with Kimber.
    Use 8 PR for the woofers and 8 TC for the mids & highs. If 8TC is too pricey then drop back to 4 TC for highs. Keep the 8 PR's on the bass.
    I have bi-wired using Kimber, mostly 8TC, and can tell a difference. More importantly my wife could tell a difference. I bi-wired one speaker and left the other single wired and asked my wife when she came home if she could hear a difference in the speakers. I told her I was worried that one speaker may be damaged and need repair. After listening to both picked out the "damaged" one single wired. I then told her about the bi-wiring yada...yada...yada...
    I did this as I did not trust my scences as much considering I wrote the check and no matter what, they were going to sound better.
    Hope it helps!!!
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunantly, Chu's post was deleted for whatever reason. I feel it deserved a look and consideration considering it's your pocket book. I'm not a pro at any of this, however, I believe in bi-wiring as I think it makes a difference. When I post a new thread I ask for opinions about something, good or bad. Chu was simply throwing out the idea that he feels that bi-wiring has little to no impact, particularly considering expense.

4. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

5. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

You can build your own using Canare Star Quad 4S11 wire. It is 14/4 cable, and if I remember correctly it cost me about $.29 a foot. Of course you would need to terminate it yourself.
    The cables look just like the those sold by CableSolutions on eBay, and will cost you less than half of what they go for on eBay.
    This cable looks and sounds great!
    I bought my cable from:
    Scott Simons
    Performance Audio
    Phone: 800.771.8330 / 801.466.3196 X 129
    Fax: 801.484.1538
    Online: http://www.PerformanceAudio.com
    Mailto:[email protected]
    Good luck to you!
    Pete

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Mark: actually I don't think it falls under the rule at all. All my suggestions imply that he keep his present cables, after all he owns them.

7. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Chu,

I don't think Mr. Chang mentioned a concern about his money. He simply asked for cable recommendations.

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Generally, the mid to higher end Transparents exhibit those type of characteristics with many things. I've heard them many times with VTL stuff and speakers that can be forward with the wrong combos such as Maggies and Thiels. The room also plays a big role. So anything I would get, I would do so on a trial basis from a local dealer.