What's new

Best speaker setup for under 1000? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The sub does not have to match the other 5/7.
Look at reviews of the Polk monitor(TSi replaced the Monitor...that was several years ago...and Polk/stores still haven't run out)...
Look at reviews of the BIC DV and Acoustech.
Most reviews of the M/Mii(Mii are "New Egg exclusive"...as they are the ONLY PLACE the Polk Monitor is current...everybody else is still trying to unload what they had years ago) state that "I'll buy something better than these next year" or "I found some of these on Craigslist, are they worth $200 for the set of 5?"...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Also, if you took the sub out of the $700 budget, you could have the Mordaunt Short Carnival 2, 1 and center(well for $750)...and they'd run circles around the BIC DV at $300-ish.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
In your budget I would seriously consider internet direct brands that are on sale. SVS has a killer sale right now, 4 SBS-02 and a SCS-02 is $400. Heres a review.
Additional $600 for a sub that has meaningful output down to 18Hz, this Hsu should do the trick.

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
Well there's TONS more reviews for BIC products vs Polk 30s on Amazon so BIC seems to be the better option. Schan, are the Mordaunts THAT MUCH better than the BIC DV series? I can get the BIC DV series with the BIC F12 for about 519.00. Mordaunts with BIC F12 will run about 940.00. If they're that much better, i'll just save for another month. If they're not that much better, i'd rather get the Bics and walk away with some extra cash :D

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Spend a little more money on your subwoofer, you will be glad you did. The Bic, while great bang for the buck, is still a sub with 150W RMS/475W dynamic and a bottom end of just 25 HZ. Hsu, SVS, Outlaw, these manufactures make subs that reach much lower than 25 Hz and have more power in reserve for that massive living room youve got going on. Subs are all about low frequencies and headroom and a sub should go down to at least 20 Hz. Invest in a sub now and there will be no need to upgrade when you upgrade speakers down the road, a good sub is for life.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What I would do, since Amazon has such an easy return policy...
Buy a pair of DV62 and a pair of Mordaunt Carnival 2. IF, in your home...and to your ears...the MSC-2 is worth the extra dough, return the DV62 and buy the rest. I've seen the Mordaunt Carnival 6 in person. Yeah, I know that one isn't on your radar...but it sounded very good.
And as for the price difference. The Mordaunt has a much nicer looking cabinet....but if you choose black...you may not "see much difference" once mounted on a wall. Both in wood grain...based on looks..the Mordaunt wins.
And looking at the SVS SBS noted above...The SBS is a dead ringer for the Mordaunt Short Car 2...just in a slightly different cabinet. I'm sure SVS tuned the speaker a bit different(as in the internal bracing is different and it isn't ported. The bracing and ported/not ported will make them sound different)...
But I wouldn't be surprised if the tweeter in both the SBS and MSC2 are from the same family(lots of speaker manufacturers buy from the very few driver makers).
And I've never understood why SVS charges $100 for their center...then $250 for the SCS2(M) as a pair. So it "costs money" to put the sticker on a little different and rotate the speaker terminal 90 degrees?

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
Okay so I think I have this figured out lol. I'm gonna get the BIC F12 sub, DV62si (2 pair), and MSC 5 center. I like the center because I only have about 5 inches to play with in between my tv and fireplace so i like that's it's only 4.1 inches in height. Do you think the center will fit in with the DV 62s? Otherwise i'll have to hunt for something that will fit. The BIC center and Polk I was looking at were 7 and 9 inches which doesn't even come close to fitting.

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
The older harmon kardon AVR receivers have pretty good quality amplifiers that sound comparably better than some of the more expensive Onkyo, Denon,Marantz gear...That's just my opinion. At that budget you'd compromise some features. But you can get them on ebay from a reputable seller for the 200$ range.
That gives you some wiggle room to add a subwoofer and speakers. You can get the HSU sub and HSU ventriloquist speakers for under 1000$...that leaves a bit of money for a receiver. You can always upgrade stuff later. 1k is a tough budget but if you are dertermined enough you can make it happen.

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
Schan, do you think that setup i posted will be better than the Energy Take? :D:cool:

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
Unless I mount the center speaker directly above the TV? What do you guys think?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are speaker mounts for the center speaker where it is intended to do that. Using the VESA bolts in the back of the TV.
http://www.amazon.com/ScreenDeck-Shelf-Things-50-Inch-Larger/dp/B004ULOZXS/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1346023602&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=center+speaker+mount (just one example of hundreds)

ScottMurphy

Auditioning
Do noise collision occurs when 5.1 speakers with sub-woofers are arranged in the way you stated ? But the main problem is when any speaker kept near TV , the screen starts flickering. How to overcome such situations?

RJ831

Agent
Real Name
Ramon
Decided to go with these mounts: http://www.amazon.com/CSB1210-Bracket-CSB-1210-Mounting-Speaker/dp/B00504G0U0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346129236&sr=1-1&keywords=CSB-1210
and
http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-AM-40B-Clamping-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B002UV03MW/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1346131062&sr=1-4&keywords=wall+mount+speaker
They're a bit pricey but the center mount is lightweight and can hold more weight. Bookshelf mounts also seem a bit sturdier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks