Best Speaker set for $500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I told a manager at m work I would get you guys to hekp him with his speakers. He is buying a Yamaha receiver from a friend for $250(used). I am not sure on the exact specs of it but if I do I will post them here. He is allocating $500 to the entire speaker set(sub too). What would be the best buy for his money and where can he get it?

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

JBL NSP-1 II
    Sony Sub

Others will be along to tell you where and give similar suggestions.

3. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

I would try to find a used Energy Take 5 system. Great sound for the money.

4. Ryan Leemhuis

do stores sell the JBL's? If so, which ones? Any onther recommendations I can give him?

5. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

For $550 you can get a Level 2 setup from hometheaterdirect.com. I haven't heard their systems, but I've seen some good feedback on them. Some people around here were talking about Fluance speakers recently - you could combine their system with a DLS or Sony sub for less than $500.

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

7. Ryan Leemhuis

Would the N24's be a worthwhile replacement to the front speakers in my Kenwood HTB-505? I am slightly interested. Where is the ABSOLUTE chepest I can get these?

8. Iver

Iver Second Unit

I think some people here have made positive mention of the Acoustic Research HC6 package, though Audio Revolution gave it a fairly lukewarm review:
    http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/index.html
    The jandr Web site used to list it, but it's not on there at the moment. The HC6 lists for $800 but J&R was selling it for $450. You can call or e-mail them to find out if they're still selling it.
    These guys have it for $400:
    http://www.sounddistributors.com/
    With black gloss finish and wood-look cabinets, the HC6 speakers certainly LOOK very nice for the money.
    Your friend might also consider Paradigms. The Micros list for $150/pair and the CC-70 center lists for the same, so list on a five-speaker package would be $450. If you found a Paradigm dealer willing to discount a bit you could probably fit in one of the entry-level subs (PDR8 or SB8) and not go too far over $500. Going the Paradigm route, it would probably be worthwhile to move up to the Atoms for the front speakers ($190/pair list). And, at the risk of encouraging upgraditis, the CC-170 center is quite a bit more substantial than the 70 and lists for about $50 more.
    This is assuming your friend would go with monopole surrounds. Moving up to Paradigm dipoles (ADP70 or ADP170) would add another $100 or so to the price.
    In addition to the HC6, a popular compact sub/sat package is the Energy Take 5.2 which you can find from dealers like Sound Pros for around $700:
    http://www.soundpros.com/energy_home.cfm
    And then, of course, there's the all-time favorite HTF budget speaker package, the above-mentioned JBL NSP-1II/ Sony WM40 combo which you can bring to your front door for about $450.
    Encourage your friend to listen critically, with familiar music, to any prospective speaker choice.