Best speaker set for 1500-2000 USD

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Josh Meier, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Josh Meier

Josh Meier Agent

I am looking at buying a new speaker setup in the next month or so, and will have about 2k to spend.

I am looking for fronts, surrounds, center, and sub. Currently I am looking at the Axiom Epic 60 set (you can find it at axiom's website, I would link it, but I am not allowed to post links in my posts yet) but was wondering if there was a better system out there.

This will be powered off an Onkyo 494 receiver and will be used primarily for movies/tv shows but with the occasional music in there as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Since you are already considering an Internet company, I’d check out both Ascends and Rockets (AV123.com).

Both companies make fine speakers (not at all a backhanded slam at Axiom—they have a fine reputation—I’ve just not heard them).

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Lew suggestions are good ones. You have a lot of options in that price range.

I also encourage you to go out and listen to as much as you can.

4. SteveL

SteveL Agent

Just got a set of Paradigm Studio 40's with a cc470 center. Amazing speakers. Please go and listen, as they are sold through dealers.

SteveL.

5. glenn.arsenault

glenn.arsenault Stunt Coordinator

If you are considering the direct internet companies, I highly recommend ACI.

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

This thred should be headlined Favorite speaker setup.... No one can tell you what is best. We can offer our opinions on our favorite speakers, but only your ears can tell you which are the best speakers. FWIW, I like my Paradigm Monitor 7, CC-370, and Mini-Monitor setup.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I agree with Glenn as to ACI being a fine company that makes outstanding speakers. They are at a slightly higher price point than either the Ascends or Rockets—not that their speakers are not worth the money, only that they are in a slightly higher niche. Their Emeralds cost $750/pair, which would mean that four would come in a $1,500, not leaving much in your budget for a center and sub.

Unlike Ascend and Rocket, you can get a variety of finishes—and their speaker cabinets I consider furniture grade (as are the Rockets).

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would also look at the Swan's Diva's from www.theaudioinsider.com . A 5.2/C3/2.1 system with the addition of a Adire Rava subwoofer would come in at under $2k and would sound awesome. The same speakers w/ an SVS 25-31 PCi would be even better, but would tip the $2k scale by around $100 after shipping.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

ACI gets another big recommendation from me. GR Research hasn't been mentioned, but should be considered. I'm a fan of the amazing quality you can receive from the online companies mentioned thus far in this thread. But, if I were you, I'd really take the time and read, read, read, as I did, threads regarding the individual sonic footprints of each of your finalists and try to discern which might best suit your particular tastes/needs.

10. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

"This will be powered off an Onkyo 494 receiver..."

I think that's something alot of people are overlooking. Most of the speakers mentioned are wonderful speakers but require a bit more power than what you are able to get from that receiver. I'd look at more efficient speakers for that reason. When it comes to that, and since home theater is your primary interest area, I'm not sure you could go wrong with Klipsch.
    (see their policy about unauthorized dealers)
    "Klipsch home audio products are sold in the United States through a network of authorized dealers selected by Klipsch. This dealer network consists solely of dealers with physical storefronts. Some dealers may have Internet sites on which they also promote Klipsch products."

Lots of places sell them, but the only authorized dealer's prices I could find were Bestbuy
    SF-3's $424.99 (Floorstanding)
    SB-3's $449.98pr
    SB-2's $349.98pr
    SC-5 $179.99
    KSW-12 $499.99

and The Good Guys (not certain they are authorized dealers. They have a B&M store, but I've heard that their internet store is not directly affiliated...not sure)

RF-15B $699.98 pr (sold as Each)(Floorstanding)
    RB-75B $599.98 pr (sold as Each)-$50
    RC-35B $399.99
    RW-12B $649.99
    No tax or shipping and (right now) $100 additional discount

These should match your receiver adequately.