Best Speaker replacement choice for budget

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ryan Leemhuis, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I am looking to update the mains and possibly more in my Kenwood HTB-505 system. I really would like more bass from the fronts in order to get an all around deeper sound. The mains right now are dual 4 in speakers with a 1 in tweeter. I was looking to spend around $200 for a pair of new speakers however this could go up to a max of maybe $300. I have been looking around and so far the speakers that tempt me are the JBL N26(not being made anymore I don't think) the JBL E30, and the Infinity Alpha 20's. What do you guys think?

2. JunoVazquez

JunoVazquez Stunt Coordinator

Have you considered adding a subwoofer.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would look at the JBL S36 and if you can go up to $300 the S38. The S (Studio) series was a big step up from the N (Northridge) and cuttent E series. Since they've been discontinued they're available fro some crazy low prices right now. Check the models you're interested out on froogle.google.com . Most anything from a respectable brand in the pricerange will be an upgrade from the HTIB speakers you currently have.

4. John S

John S Producer

I'd add a subwoofer.....

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I had an older Kenwood VR-407 HTiB and replaced the front speakers with Paradigm Atoms. The sound was much better, not not too much deeper because the reciever will still have a X-over of 100hz (It may be 80hz..I'm not familiar with that model). Therefor you'll need a better subwoofer to get "deeper" music, or buy full-range tower speakers and set the reciever's speaker size to "large". But $200 isn't very much for tower speakers...save your pennies for a better subwoofer IMO.[​IMG]

6. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I'm in a dorm so I don't really need a larger sub...the 8 inch 100 watt works pretty well for that...I'm looking to replace the fronts to get a better crossover between the sub and the speaker so I don't need to turn it up so loud as it creates a annoying droning bass if I want to fill up the room with sound. This is why I wanted to go to bookshelfs with 6 in speakers. The better sound quality wouldn't hurt either.

7. John S

John S Producer

The S-series JBL speakers, are the best of the price range your looking at. They are getting hard to find though.

S38's kick some serious bass butt......

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Another Studio Series promoter here. The S38s definitely have bass and would be preferable over the S26s if you have the means and the option. Onecall has the S38s for 232.00 before shipping, so figure 260.00 total.

I've had the S38s paired with a serious sub (SVS) for some time so I had forgotten their bass capabilities on their own. I was playing around a couple weeks ago and isolated them so they were getting full range, stereo only. Pop in The Crystal Method's "Tweekend" and you will not be disappointed. Only thing is they are hefty, so make sure you have room and proper shelving!