Best speaker placement for my upper floor plan?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by doug zdanivsky, Dec 12, 2005.

1. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    Here is the floor plan, and where I was thinking I'd put the sub and floor standing speakers..

http://tinypic.com/igglmv.jpg

I want (I should say my wife wants) to have opitimal (by optimal I mean out of the way, AND the best sound quality) for listening both in the living room, AND the kitchen..

Here is a side view of the media center I am planning..

http://tinypic.com/iggmy0.jpg

I was thinking I could put a small but powerful self powered 8" sub on the floor inside the nook for the TV and other components (reciever, sat. reciever), and cover it with the sound permeables mesh that's on all speakers (what's that called?).

Would that work, or is it detrimental to bass quality to have a sub so confined on 3 sides like that?

What do you think of the speaker placement? What would work better?

Thanks!

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Why would you have your speakers in the corners when the TV is in the media center? Is this an audio only system? If it is not, the placement of your main speakers is about the worst they could be for Home Theater. HT main speakers should be on either side of the display in a 45 deg angle from the sweet spot. The way you have them, when a car goes from left to right across the screen, the sound will travel front to back to your ears. Also, even if you went with this setup, the speakers should be reversed. The left should be on the left as you face them. You have the left on the right and vice versa.

3. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    It's not for home theater..

The priority id music for the kitchen and living room, and the TV just for the kids watching the occasional cartoon while eating breakfast, or the wife watching the news while cooking..

I guess I could just do bookshelf speakers beside the TV, but I though this way I'd have good sound for the living room and the kitchen, having the mains spread apart more than the media cabinet would allow..

As for the left ro right, my bad.. [​IMG]

4. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

I think you layout will work just fine for getting good sound to the kitchen while your wife watches tv from the kitchen.

The only suggestion I would make is to add a center channel to the entertainment center so the dialog will be available to the kitchen (most important part of the signal).

You will want one in the living room, as well so an unconvential solution will be needed to get two center channels going.

I would not leave them out. They are that important.

The sub should cover the room fine.

Not ideal but a decent compromise.

5. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    A center for the livingroom as well, even if those in the living room will be used exclusively for music?

So the sub in that enclosed space won't be compromised.. much?

6. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

You could forgo the center channel in the living room if you are just going to listen to music in that room.

I would not begin to tell you where the sub should go. It will tell you, if you do enough testing. They are omnidirectional, but they do have ideal positions in relation to the rest of the room and where you want it to sound best.

Here is a link that you find helpful.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/index.php

Happy Holidays!

7. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky
    Thanks, but as I mention, I am pretty much wanting it out of the way, and in that media center nook I provided a drawing of..

So hopefully it won't sound TOO bad in there.. [​IMG]