What's new

Best Sounding Speaker in $3500 range (1 Viewer)

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I have all the tools and resources that are available. I have no more limitations than any of the larger companies, and I can have anything I need custom built to my specifications.
So you have the resources to research and develop new technologies, and ways to design speakers that aren't currently known?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Jason, why do you find this so hard to believe. You don't have to be a giant company to come up with a new and/or better way of doing things. Most of the important advances haven't been made by the big companies.
If he dreams up a new way of doing something he goes to a driver manufacture and gets a prototype made.
When he gets the prototype, he has an anechoic chamber and all the measuring tools he needs to test if his idea was worth anything. If it wasn't try again, if it was use it.
A great recent example would be Adire Audio with their XBL^2 driver topology.
http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/xbl2_motors.htm
Patent is pending and in a month or two their first sub driver for home use that uses it will be available. And it will be one fun driver to play with for DIY sub projects. Using it, for less than $2k (2/3 of which would be amp cost), you could build a sub that I would bet will best a Krell MRS.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Danny,

I never heard of Joseph Audio before this thread. I'm curious about your thoughts on their infinite slope crossovers. They make it sound incredible, but are there any draw backs you know of?

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

It does not require new and unknown technologies to do something that hasn't been done before.

And I am currently working on some projects that include some things that have not been done before.

What I said is I have no limitations in relation to tools and resources.

As far as imagination, innovation, and thinking out side the box goes I am limited to just what the good Lord gave me. When I begin to start thinking I have become wise the Lord allows me to do something to make me realize just how foolish all my worldly wisdom really is.

Some of the best designers in this industry work out of their homes.

Some of the best caps I ever heard recently were designed by a friend of mine that works out of his home. Sales and distribution of these new caps will also be done from his home.

The designer of some of the best ribbons in the world including all the Hi Vi's, BG Neo's, PDR 500 and PDR 1000, etc, works out of his home and builds all the latest prototypes there.

In fact lots of "big" companies have copied or tried to copy his efforts.

Don't kid yourself. You will be surprised to know some of what really goes on in this industry and who does it.

Dustin,

I have not tried to develop anything similar to what Jeff Joseph is using. They do hold a patten on the typology these use. So even if I were to come up with the same thing I could not use it commercially. I do know how it works though.

It does offer several advantages.

Less driver interaction for one. Meaning if you were to take off axis vertical response measurements they should be very consistent with the on axis responses.

Upper frequency woofer break-up (and the woofers they use have a lot of it) has been eliminated with the steep slope.

All of his speaker that I have heard have all sounded exceptionally good as well.

Like I said I only heard 6 systems at the WCES that sounded good and one of them was his.

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
Danny,

I might be close to getting some Joseph's. How do you think they will fair in HT use?

I was only looking to spend in the $3k range. I can get 3 Joseph Audio's Cinergy's for a little over $3k, but still have 4 more speakers left. And how would I go about matching to the Joseph's? I am using a Lexicon MC-1, so my surrounds are pretty important, since I will cross them over a little lower to distribute the base more.

or

I could go with the Onix Rockets, a full 7 speaker set for $3k.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
As for that first question... I don't think you will be unhappy with the performance of any of his stuff, and it should fair just fine in a home theater set up.

The other questions would be hard for me to answer without outright recommending my own products.

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't know you had you own "stuff". By all means, please point me to it, I'm a big boy, I can make decisions on my own :)
I don't know if they frown on promoting your own products on here. But I don't mind.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Danny runs GR-Research:
http://www.gr-research.com/
Check out the Alpha LS :D
Matrice on this forum recently replaced PSB Goldi's with AV1+ monitors (bass wasn't considered in the equation since he had a very nice Tempest sub to handle that).

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
Danny

I'm curious as to why you don't offer all of your speakers in fully assembled form, along with the kits, like VMPS does? That would allow you to sell speakers to people who don't have the time or resources to build the cabinets and assemble the speakers. If your speakers are as good as advertised they would still be a steal at 25-50% more then the kits cost.

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,
We do offer all of them fully assembled.
Our factory assembled models also come with their own measurements. We test and measure each one of them before they go out the door.
Some of our web pages need a little updating and I can only get to it all so fast, but I will get to it all soon.
Michael,
You can see a good handful of reviews of our speakers over at the Audio Asylum. http://www.audiophilia.com/fora.shtml
Go to product reviews under the "other stuff" heading, then scroll down to speakers. You will find us there in alphabetical order.
I believe one of our models is the most reviewed speaker on that site. Plus, if you scan through the Speakers General section it is likely that you will see plenty of talk about our speakers. Rarely does the page scroll by without a post about them. There are several threads about them currently.
Other reviews can be seen from our customers at the Harmonic Discord. We have our own forum there. http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/
Dustin gave you the link to our web site. Thanks Dustin.
Several reviews can be found around here too if you do a search on the GR Research name I am sure several will come up.
I couldn't ask for better reviews or happier customers and really appreciate them posting info about our speakers on all the message boards on a regular basis. Some of them are very good at writing informative reviews.
If you have questions just drop ma and e-mail. I try to respond to them very timely.
Thanks,

Bob Marker

Stunt Coordinator
Red:
In response to your post, you might want to consider the Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t which lists for $3500. Check out Issue 28 of The Audio critic for Don Keele's detailed review.
Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks