What's new

Best Sounding Non-Action Movies (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
[font=http://beck.servebeer.com/ht.html]I have to agree with requiem for a dream... the score is amazing, so is Pi as a matter of fact. After being a Pop Will Eat Itself fan for many years I was completly awed that clint could write such music.[/font]

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The thunder and rain while the kids were in the attic in the "Goonies" was pretty impressive.

Also, even though it's only 2.0...in Pro Logic playback I have been very impressed with the sound of the BBCs Pride and Prejudice set. There are times when I almost turn around because I'm sure there really *is* a bird chirping behind me.

Often many of these "period" pieces have very interesting sound because they record all their dialoge during filming using location microphones and so you get the natural "ambient" cues from echos in the room and footsteps on the foor. A very different (a better) effect, IMO, than the polished but artifical sound you get in hollywood "hits" that have dubbed soundtracks after the fact.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Avalon (Mamoru Oshii) has action for a very small part of the film, but the surrounds are amazingly active, totally immersive environment. Hopefully Miramax will stop sitting on it. After seeing what they've done to their Hong Kong flicks, I am SO happy that I have the Japanese DVD with outstanding English subs.

Lewis_W

Agent
The Green Mile (excellent overall soundfield)

American Beauty (superb for the score, DTS too!)

The Addams Family (some inventive surround use)

Forrest Gump (brilliant all round, though surrounds aren't that active)

JFK (what can i say)

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Elizabeth

A wonderful soundtrack that will truly envelop you. The Dolby Digital 5.1 is quite exceptional.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I always nominate animated movies in the list of best sounding movies (eg Titan AE, Toy Story etc) but those are always on people's lists.
One of the best sounding disks is in fact A Bug's Life which has some pretty amazing pans from speaker to speaker. Even voices can be heard from discrete surround speakers.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The Legend of Bagger Vance has no explosions or rounds of gunfire, but it does have reference quality audio and video. A very nice mix as always by the uber-mixer Gary Rydstrom & his team. I just wish I liked the movie a little more.

Regards,

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Se7en has an excellent 5.1 soundtrack with agressive surrounds. Gotta love hearing the helicoptor panning from the left to right surround speakers.

Also Dark City and The Passion of Joan of Arc are great.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I agree with many of the prior recommendations, especially Requiem For A Dream.
If you are looking for a movie with a more "subtle" but excellent 5.1 track, I would highly recommend the DTS version of Dances With Wolves! Superb ambient sounds in that soundtrack!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks