What's new

Best Sound Card To Get... (1 Viewer)

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

Whats the best sound card to get right now? I've been using the integrated sound (5.1) on my motherboard for a while but, I've been having crash probs with the latest drivers for it and have had sound quality probs since I first started using it. Stuff like channels inverting randomly etc... Appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks :)

System:
AMD XP 1700+
Soyo Dragon Plus (VIA chipset)
768mb RAM
ATI 9500 Pro
(2)120gb WD HDD
HP CDRW & Tosh DVD Drive (Using digital cable for audio extraction)

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Hi Dave,

I am with you in needing some advice on sound cards and I have been doing some research as well.

From the looks of things, for me, it may be down to 2 choices:

1. Creative Audigy 2

2. Hercules Fortissimo 3

Tom's Hardware Guide for Soundcards

I guess it would depend on your price range. Price is really important to me and I cant possibly dump $200 plus bucks on a soundcard. But there are lower end Audigy's that may fit the bill.

The 2nd choice above is in the $40 dollar range which is really great price wise for the features. I would like to hear from some people who have the card and what their thoughts are on performance/sound etc.

Hope that helps some and I look forward to responses from others on this issue.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link Colin, I am seriously considering that Audigy2 ZS - the platinum if I can afford it :) The Hercules cards seem great for their price... Anyone here use one? Any impressions to share?

As far as usage, I am planning to use the card for digital audio extraction (convert audio CD .WAV files into high bitrate .MP3), DVD playback (in DD 5.1 and/or DTS 5.1) and for games (Galaxies, Max Payne 2, Etc). Hope that helps...

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The Audigy 2 should do you good for everything you listed.. Although, I'm not certain about the digital audio extraction stuff...usually that's the CD-ROM's job!

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
My usage would be:

1. Games

2. Listening to MP3's and CD's

3. Occasional DVD

I also only have a 2.1 speaker setup and do not plan on upgrading speakers anytime in the near future.

I currently have a Soundblaster Live card but I understand from an earlier thread that it uses tons of CPU cycles and I take a performance hit. So would definitely like to get it replaced.

M

Mark Patrick

I'd recommend the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 over the Sound Blaster Audigy's if you're looking for the best sound quality, especially if you are using two speakers. I know for a fact that they sound superb. That said, if you're looking for an extensive softeware bundle, it's hard to beat the Audigy 2.
I have both in my PC, and I'm also using a 2.1 system(Monsoon Media Planar 14), as I listen to music and play games occasionally.

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
I've actually heard that the difference between the two is marginal. I guess it depends on your speakers.

CD ripping is the drive's job and the ripper program's job; the soundcard plays no part except to play back the finished product. I would recommend Exact Audio Copy for an audio extraction tool. The program can rip directly (sort of) to MP3.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
An OEM Audigy should serve your purpose. It comes with encoder software.

I think Audigy 2 would be overkill for pc speakers and/or headphone listening. I have the Audigy and it works great.
The digital out on the card helps future proof.

I noticed in your basebar that you have a digital audio connection for ripping, that is actually done through the IDE cable FYI.

Onboard sound sometimes has the 'rice crispies' effect...

You know, snap, crackle, pop. :)

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the help and recommendations guys. I was not aware that the sound card played no part in audio extraction so thanks for the info on that too. I have decided to go with the Audigy 2 ZS (basic edition). Picked this card for its connections/performance/price/CPU load and I have also decided to upgrade speakers... I'm planning to get the logitech 640's (I think thats the one) and use a 5.1 or 7.1 setup on my PC :D Can't wait now... Payday can't get here soon enough.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a new sound card as well.

My built in one supports 5.1, but it doesnt do EAX, which I'm just starting to research.

How much difference does an EAX feature do?

thx

Oh, and I think I heard of EAX2...Is that much of an upgrade?

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
The latest version of EAX is Advanced HD (which translates to 3 or 4). I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but it is featured on a lot of popular games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks