Best solution for sending mp3s ans streaming radio to my ht?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Gary.H, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

I want to listen to my mp3s and streaming internet radio on my ht in the living room. I'm trying to find the best solution. I'm not sure if hooking a pc up to it with wireless internet is the best way(not alot of room there) or is there a box type solution that will do that. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks. Gary.

2. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I just set up my first "HTPC". I "" that because it's a leftover computer from work (850mhz WEAK) but I bought a cheap 40 video card for it that has s-video out (along with dvi, but that's not too important for what you're doing).

Then I connected the soundcard output, and the s-video to my reciever, and there you go. Digital Jukebox. You can connect the sound on the cheap with a headphone-to-stereo RCA adapter or you can use the SPDIF out to your recievers coaxial digital input for 'bit-perfect'. Right now, I'm on the cheap.

Even at a low s-video resolution I can see the windows media player just fine from the couch on my 30" direct view HDTV. I keep up media player and have a fireplace as my wallpaper. It's great.

If you look at the local classifieds/garage sales, you can pick up a 500mhz+ computer for 40 or 50 bucks. Or, score a free one from a family member/friend who's upgrading and can't see a use for the antiquated computer.

Worried about the 'box' look? Hide it somewhere. Behind the couch, in a nearby closet, under the family pet, whatever. Run the cables under the carpet/floor or even just along the baseboard.

G3T5VM

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I may eventually go the route that Adam described when I get my new computer and turn my current one into a jukebox. Currently I use the Airport Express and use iTunes for Windows to stream my music, connected to my receiver via the optical connection. The only problem is there is no remote control of iTunes for Windows, but the distance b/w my computer and HT setup is only about 20 feet or so. The only issue I would have is finding a place to hide the tower. So continuing my current arrangement is attractive in that respect. If there winds up being a way to remotely control iTunes (even just simple track navigation) I'm there.

Another idea I had (which is low on the list) is getting a Mac mini, which would make for a kind of spendy jukebox, but not that much more than the higher end streaming devices (Slim Devices or the Roku Soundbridge) plus it has other functionality (including the ability to stream to an Airport Express).

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

HTPC would be good, although I got annoyed at have a PC in every room to pipe MP3s -- tough interface and too much power consumption.

However, you can also run the Sqeezebox, it's the best solution I've seen!

http://www.slimdevices.com/

-V

5. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Xbox, Xbox Media Center and a wireless ethernet bridge works very nicely, and lets you stream and view video as well. Of course, the Xbox has to be modified.

6. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

Another vote for Airport Express. Simple setup; works great. Much less expensive than paying for (and administering) a separate computer.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress

I just got a second one to connect a printer to elsewhere in the house. (The first is of course attached to the stereo to play music.) Works great with my Mac and PC.

Amazon and other stores sell them too which might save some tax.

7. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

The htpc is what I originally thought of but I'm not sure I want to tie up a pc. The airport would be fine if I can use other radio stations instead of itunes. I want to use live365, christianrock.net and other radiostation websites that have listen now links. I don't want to join itunes for the radio part. Can you use the airport for any other radio streaming besides itunes?

8. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

A friend has the 115, I'd say the squeezebox is about 30 times cooler and more useful. I like things which have opensource backends and have been designed with advanced user needs in mind. I don't listen to streaming christian radio, so I dunno specifically about the stations you use- but it supports every streaming format I've thrown at it.

You could probably find more info about the ins and outs of every unit over this way:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=39

10. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I use the wireless slim devices squeezbox. It works great, easy to set-up, and plays all the music files I have on my hard drive.

11. Gary.H

Gary.H Stunt Coordinator

With the squeeze box will it only stream itunes or will it stream other sources like from real and win media?

12. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

The squeeze box is probably one of the more versatile media receivers out there. It'll scan your music files and if the file type is supported it'll stream it. It does MP3, WMA, FLAC, Ogg, WAV... Go to the website and check it out.

http://www.slimdevices.com/