Best Small Size Speaker Set?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by bobE, Oct 6, 2004.

1. bobE

bobE Auditioning

Finally replacing my 10 year old HT system. Wife says o.k., but speakers must be small. Subwoofer is fine, because that can be hid. Wall mount speakers preferable, bookshelf less desirable, floor standing out of the question. Looked at Bose, but not really happy with sound. What is the best small size set? Getting Yamaha 7.1 THX receiver and Samsung DLP TV. Need some help finding a good set of small speakers. Looking for set for $2500 or less.

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

When you say wall mount do you mean in-wall or a box mounted to the wall??? For box mounted to the wall, check out the NHT SuperZero XU. One Call had them on closeout for $75 ea. I don't know if they come with the wall mount bracket but it is available and these speakers sound great but have very limited low frequency so a sub is a must and one that can sounds good at 80-100hz will make blending to the Szeros easier.

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

4. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Hi, I'm Brian Fellows...
    Those Anthony Gallo speakers have FUNNY EYES. They're trying to GET me.

5. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

Check the definitive technology procinema systems they start w/the procinema 60's which is a package 4spkrs,center and sub.Or look at the 80,100,or 200's can be mixed and matched.Come in black or white.

6. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

You might want to consider Mirage Omni-Sats or Orb Audio for small speaker/sub systems.

Mort

7. Thomas Tur

Thomas Tur Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased and received a JBL SCS 300.7 system which features a 10" subwoofer and 7 satellite speakers with all mounting hardware, mini speakers stands, and wall mounts. This system retails for $699 but can be had online for about $420 shipped. Each satellite has dual 3.5" woofers and a 3/4" tweeter in it. Talk about a deal.

Mated to 7.1 receiver it sounds awesome for the money. An entire system with some type of room correction (a la Pioneer) can be had for approximately $800.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Paradigm sells a wall mount version of their Monitor line.

[​IMG]

Kevin

9. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I demoed the Boston Acoustic VR-Ms at home and was absolutely blown away with their performance that it was an instant sale for my liking. I know you hear this a lot, but speakers are very subjective, and listen habits, receivers, room acoustics, etc all have a very serious impact on how different speakers will sound in a room.

The best advise is to short list many different speakers and do in-home demos from vendors that allow returns. Simply listening to speakers in an acoustically sound non-reflective showcase room will not sound anywhere the same than in your actual home.

Be patient and do your research.

FYI - My Speakers are BA VR-M60s, VR10, VRM-X (di-pole rear)

I also absolutely loved Paradigm Studio 20's as well. Find a solid front two soundstage, implement a sub and go from there. I am still waiting to order a SVS PB2+ becuase of budget constraints but will eventually get there.

Good Luck!

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    www.mordauntshort.com has recently released the Genie. Small and attractive. Haven't heard them yet, but I have 902s and I am very happy with them.

If you do a search, this was covered recently, and I think there was a lot of commentary on decent small speakers.

I've listened to the Def Tech Procinemas and I was less than impressed.

11. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

Take a look at the Onix/Rocket line of speakers (AV 123.com); they have a good variety to pick from plus system packages at affordable prices...

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

12. JesseM

JesseM Auditioning

I can't believe it... all of these posts and no one's mentioned Axioms! Oh well. My personal faves in this category are the Ascend CBM-170's. Astonishing sound.. I was a little afraid they would not live up to the monumental amount of hype I read about them, but they easily outperformed my very high expectations. I picked up 4 of these and a CMT-340 center channel for $858. Anyhow, I don't mean to sound like a commercial, just Google up Ascend Acoustics for their website.