Best single-disc SACD player in $200 range

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ThomasC, Jun 11, 2005.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

My uncle from Taiwan is visiting for a couple weeks and would like to get a single-disc SACD player for around $200. Any recommendations?

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    There are no single-disc nonDVD-combi players in that price range. Sony's 595, 5-disc changer is in that range. Does he want a DVD player that plays SACD or an SACD/CD player?

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

He doesn't want a changer. He wants a SACD/CD player, but if there's a DVD player that offers the same or better quality than SACD/CD players, I'm sure he'd try it out. How much is the cheapest single-disc player?

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I think that the cheapest single-disc SACD/CD player out is proably the Marantz that's about $800. I'm supposing that's right out since it's a 4x budjet buster. Maybe he should look at Sony's DVD/SACD players and the Pioneer uni players? Since Pioneer fixed their disc recognition software problem, their budjet uni's have recieved much praise.

5. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

ThomasC,
    I'm getting one from Taiwan instead of here. There are OEM manufacture all over Taiwan. You could buy a decent Single SACD player for around $50.00 You should have him bring you one instead. Unless he is looking for brand name which is always cheaper here compare to Asia as Asia get the new model prior the release to US.

6. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Thomas,
    I tried the one Jack did and returned it. The dvd playback on it sucked and it was pretty buggy. The bass management for SACD's was pretty dissapointing too.

I just recently bought a Sony 5 disc dvd/sacd labeled the 80V player and the bass management on it blows away the 941.

I paid $139 - 10% for a coupon I had at Best buy.

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Sony's DVP-NS775V single-disc DVD/SACD/CD player can be had for $100.00. Top-notch SACD playback....replacing my Sony DVP-NS500V in my main (cheap) system.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Sony has the DVP-NS775V for $69 refurbished. Is refurbished okay for DVD/SACD players?