What's new

Best shows of 2003 (1 Viewer)

John Madia

Second Unit
I'd probably put The Daily Show #1 on my list for best shows of the year (not counting reruns of older shows). Everwood has been quite good and while I look forward to future episodes, I don't think the show has much replay value. I'll only watch a rerun if there's nothing else on tv and nothing better to do.

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
1. The Office
2. Arrested Development
3. Girls Behaving Badly

...That's weird. I can only think of three new shows I actually watch regularly.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, they don't play too well stand-alone anyway. I'd die for a season one set so I could watch the entire arc over several nights and really process it as a whole.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
1. Gilmore Girls
2. The OC
3. Queer Eye
4. The Shield
5. 24
6. Alias
7. CSI
8. Without a Trace
9. Survivor Pearl Islands
10. Ed

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
1. Alias
2. Arrested Development
3. Futurama
4. Grounded for Life
5. Malcolm in the Middle
6. A Minute with Stan Hooper
7. The Family
8. The Pitts
9. 24
10. Fairly Oddparents

I included cancelled shows that aired new episodes in '03. (I didn't include current shows that had the entire year off: "The Sopranos," "Curb Your Enthusiasm," "The Chris Isaak Show") "Alias" was an easy choice for number one--so much better than "24," which is also good.

Edit: Oops, I forgot about "Oliver Beene," which I would squeeze in there at around 3 or 4.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
In no order:

Farscape
Smallville
Survivor: The Amazon
Survivor: Pearl Islands
The Amazing Race
That '70s Show
The OC
King of Queens
Everybody Loves Raymond

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
God, I dont think I can think of 10 whole shows because there isnt that much good on anymore.
I discovered two shows on DVD this year and spent most of the past 6 months watching them.
Those being the first 3 seasons of B5 and the first season of 24.
If I can cheat a bit, those will go on my list.

The rest...
Alias
Arrested Development
Smallville
The OC
CSI
Queer Eye
Farscape
Office

I have to admit that I am shocked to see shows like Arestted Development and Enterprise on the same list for a "Best of."

I better sit down.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
In no particular order, her'e my must see TV for 2003/2004

Boomtown
The Daily Show
Friends
Angel
Coupling (UK)
South Park
The World Poker Tour
Survivor Pearl Islands
Survivor All-Star Edition
That 70's Show
Dead Like Me
Six Feet Under
Countdown w/ Keith Oberman
Seattle Mariner baseball games
Mythbusters
American Chopper

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
·Carnivale
·The Office
·American Dreams
·The Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire
·Arrested Development
·Scrubs
·Frasier (back to its standard)
·Six Feet Under
·Sex in the City
·The Wire

Unranked.

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
* Farscape
* The Shield

Probably in that order.

I don't like Six Feet Under that much although the last two episodes of season 2 were nearly excellent. I've been trying to cut down my habit to watch tv on every turn (and watch tv-shows from dvd instead!) and if counting the shows I'm currently watching, it would seem I've succeeded. What I've seen of Boomtown, it seems to be very good but I still haven't watched it regularly so I can't really give a reasonable opinion of it.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Since I don't watch much TV these days (new house and all) this is how I rank my favorite Shows.

1. THE OC !!
2. Scrubs
3. King Of Queens
4. Monster Garage
5. South Park
6. CSI
7. American Chopper
8. CSI Miami
9. Survivor Pearl Islands
10. Will & Grace

I only watched the last two episodes of Nip/Tuck, but I am pretty sure, had I watched more, It would be high on my list. I guess I need to catch Arrested Development also.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
In no certain order:

* Reno 911

* Crank Yankers (though I don't find it nearly the joy that I did the short term TV FUNHOUSE.)

* It's All Relative

* 8 Simple Rules (I so love Katey Sagal)

* The Simpson's ( I would still rather take a half-way funny show of this series than an excellent show of any of the NBC tripe...)

* Arrested Development (what I have seen is wonderful)

* Lilo and Stitch: The Series (this would more than likely be my number one show...can't get enough of experiment 626)

* Justice League (which I would watch more of it was broadcast in widescreen at a better time period)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
1. Law & Order: SVU
2. Boomtown
3. Joan of Arcadia
4. Alias
5. Law & Order
6. Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
7. 24
8. CSI
9. The Practice
10. CSI: Miami

(I can't see premium cable shows until they're out on DVD. )

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
In no order:

Smallville
Mythbusters
Monster House
Monster Garage
American Chopper
Arrested Development
CSI
Queer Eye
NYPD Blue
Less Than Perfect

LiamK

Auditioning
1)Earth Final Conflict (the best tv series ever made)- watching reruns
2)The Simpsons - excellent
3)Whoopi - whoopi rocks
4)The Lyon's Den - great plot great actors
5)Saturday Night Live - fun all the way
6)Charmed - witchy fun
7)Star Trek Enterprise - watching because of Scott Bakula ;)

All the best and Happy Holidays Everybody :)

LiamK

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
OK, off the top of my head and in no order (bear in mind I live in NZ, so I'm behind the States in most shows):

* Curb Your Enthusiasm - second season aired here this year, terribly anxious for them to show more

* Monk - I love Tony Shaloub, and its a great role in a wonderful show

* 24 - second season was brilliant. Concerned about the lack of excitement about the third season, but will still watch.

* Gilmore Girls - This show makes me laugh out loud more often than almost any other programme, including most comedies. Great characters, stories, dialogue. Brilliant. Season 1 on DVD next year! Yay!

* Joan of Arcadia - OK, they've only shown the first two episodes so far, but I love it. When God corrected Joan's lazy pronouciation "Anticlimactic. Anticlimatic means your against the weather" I knew that I love this show.

* The Amazing Race - hate reality TV, but finally started watching this by accident in race 4, and I loved it.

* Boomtown - Great show that sadly is no more.

* Scrubs - Funny funny show.

* Dragnet - Loved the first season. A curious mix of the old-fashioned Dragnet style with a modern day show. Hate the sound of the changes for the second season, glad that failed. Wish the show had carried in in its first season style.

* The West Wing - I started watching this in the thirsd season, we've almost finished the fourth season. People say it has fallen from the standards of season 1 - damn that must have been a great season, because the show I'm watching is still really good. Probably won't watch much after Sorkin leaves.

* The Office - Love this show, don't like the idea of the US remake.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Gilmore Girls (really picked up after a shady 3rd year)
South Park (episodes 8-12 weren't too good, but season 7's been great)
24 (wonderful show)
ALIAS (see above)

I'm on the fence about ANGEL because this season's been so terrible. However, if we're simply talking great shows that are currently on the air...it's one of them. Sadly, it's not really 'great' anymore though...

Other than that, I haven't been watching too much TV at all. I'm sort of burnt out on crap.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
In no particular order:
  • The O.C.-An amazingly good show that could have been doomed by it's inane previews. Just watch it once or twice, and you're hooked.
  • Scrubs-Funniest. Show. Ever. Why it's not NBC's replacement for Friends is a testament to Zucker and co.'s stupidity.
  • Arrested Development-A great show that narrowly missed Fox's annual execution of worthy shows (so far).
  • Nip/Tuck-Sure they use the premise of boobies to attract you, but you think twice when seeing them cut open. On the other hand, the characters and plots are not only believable, but engrossing.
  • CSI-Not it's best season, but I'm a sucker for gory crime shows. Not enough to watch Miami's overacting lead and underused cast, though.
  • Las Vegas-Okay, this one just has hot women in it, and plenty of shots of their "assets". But on a Monday night with a beer in your hand, that's really all you need.
  • Joan of Arcadia-I'm a rabid atheist, and yet this show continues to compel me to watch. Perhaps it's because the characters are believable, unlike the sanctimonious Camden family.
  • Smallville-It's cheese, but at least it's got some good people behind it. It almost lost me with the Clark/Lana relationship, but once they started making Lex deeper (and crazier) and stomped Lana with a horse, I was ecstatic. And the magnificent bastard that is Lionel is priceless.
  • Coupling UK-The second season, if anything, was even more hilarious than the first. I'm excited to see the third season, but I'm sad that Richard Coyle's Jeff isn't going to be in the show this year.
  • Adult Swim-I loved this idea when it first came out, with the powerhouse lineup of Space Ghost C2C, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Sealab 2021, and The Brak Show. The new lineup is less original shows, but definitely as watchable if not more so. The craziness of FLCL was a plus, and not only did it let me see Futurama again, it actually convinced Fox to start up Family Guy again. Amazing. On a side note, Clone Wars was way too short, but it's revived my excitement in Star Wars.

Another thing I loved about this season was the proliferation of digital television and/or widescreen. Of all the shows I listed above, only Scrubs and some of Adult swim was in 4:3. Fox's 480p widescreen isn't satisfactory, but it's still a huge step above regular 480i fullscreen. Hopefully by this time next year, it'll all be in HD.

RaymondSteiner

Stunt Coordinator
I only watch smallville regularly, i record Angel but have not been able to see this season so far... (Want to see 3rd season first, i have season 4 and 5 recorded unseen )...

By the way, anyone in the forum records hdtv shows on DVHS and if so, what are your opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks