What's new

Best setup for Happauge PVR 150 w/cable ? (1 Viewer)

John_Graz

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a Happauge PVR 150 PCI card for my PC.
Everything works well. But I am confused as to the the best way way to connect to cable.

I have Time Warner Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 Cable box. And I tried going direct from the box and I get all the channels BUT the TV tuner in the card only uses channel 3 and I can't use the Titan TV Scheduler.

So i went and connected it before the box and now my PVR 150 tuner works and I can change the channel but I don't get the premium channels.

Am I having a "brain-fart" and forgetting something on this setup ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year to all !

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Happy New Year to you too!

You're probably not going to like this but if you want to use the TitanTV or other programming options you're going to have to go with:

a) analog cable connected to the coax port

b) an outboard IR transmitter that will change the channel of your digital cable box when it's time to record

It sounds like what you're trying to do is use two tuners: the Scientific Atlanta box and the PVR-150. You only need one tuner and then connect the box to the PVR-150 via S-video to record.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Or, you could connect the cable in two ways simultanously [daisy-chain if the Hauppage supports it, or splitter]: direct in to the PVR card for normal channels, and in to the cable box + composite or S from the box to the PVR card's auxiliary input for premium channels. Kludge? Maybe, but I might do it that way.

John_Graz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Scott & Chris, both ideas and comments confirmed what I thought.

However when I go through the cable box to the PVR using the coaxial I get a 1-3 second voice to lips delay from my Kenwood DTS receiver digital oe analog audio to the PVR audio. My PC is in the same room as big screen HT and trying to use the better sound from HT.
Do you know why the HT audio would be off sync with the PVR PCI card ??

Also when I use coaxial direct connect (bypass the box) the TitanTV web page and try to "watch" the channels are off by 2 numbers. I selected "Basic" and switched to "Premium" in the Titan setup and still 2 channelsoff

Again what did I do wrong ?

Thanks

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure MCE uses a delay buffer for the sake of smooth recording and playback. If your audio is going through the PC and your video is going straight from the cable box to the TV, the audio will be delayed but the video won't. Just a guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks