What's new

Best setup for a fraternity house? (1 Viewer)

Jaferitis

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Shepherd
My fraternity's been looking to buy a new speaker setup recently on a budget of ~$550. It's gonna be used strictly for music in a room that's about 20' x 15' (this is a generous estimate, it's probably less than this), and it's a dance floor room, so bass is pretty important. Originally, I was going to get a receiver and a subwoofer and use the speakers I already have (pictured here: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/sacredraider/IMG_0397.jpg), but I was recommended on another forum to get these instead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009WBYI/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk 2 of these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMUFMA/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk and this receiver

On another forum, I was recommended to get this
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/PylePro-1200-watt-Complete-DJ-Speaker-System/4685954/product.html?rcmndsrc=2

I'm leaning towards the DJ setup because of the 4 channel amp, and it looks like something a fraternity house could really use, especially with the mic setup. I'm worried about the bass though.

Thoughts?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Those BIC America speakers probably JAM. That said, if it's going to be played loud and used for parties/dancing, a DJ style system is definitely the best way to go!!!! Recommended!!!

You should look at Guitar Center - your local one or online, or online at "Musician's Friend". There are many systems out there.

Personally I'd favor the Peavey brand over Pyle Pro, particularly at the low end. Peavey stuff is built to last. Here's the system you want:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Audio-Performer-Pack-Portable-PA-631378-i1320213.gc

Going by reputation alone, that Peavey system is going to KILL the Pyle system at Overstock. Nady makes good stuff at this price point also:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-MPM4130X---PTS515-Package-630426-i1153421.gc

You can add a massive sub to systems like this very easily if you wish to REALLY rock the place. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-PV-118D-Powered-Subwoofer?sku=476322

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with Philip, Pyle is a pile.

Do you have source units already? I mean CD players, etc. While on the GC site, look at the DJ mixers. When we got one of those, it made DJing frat parties much more enjoyable. My first two years, I spent pre-recording the music on cassette. When they ran out, I would have to cue up additional cassettes and a few CD's (rare at the time). Now the mixing boards use USB connections to a PC and you can play all of your stored music.

I helped a friend out recently that is a competition BBQer to get his audio system going. He set up play lists on his iPod but wasn't satisfied. He couldn't pinpoint the issue until I came in and showed him the difference between a downloaded song at 96kbps and the same song in a lossless digital version. He now runs his music from a laptop with high res audio.

Finally, the sub that Philip links to blows your budget. It's a frat. Does someone have woodworking ability? You can DIY a quality horn sub for 1/2 the price of that Peavy sub and it will outperform it as well. BFM has some great designs. You just need to pick the one that fits your room size and goals. The Tuba 60 - http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T60.html will crush most commercial subs.

Jaferitis

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Shepherd
the peavey set looks good, but there's really no specs listed for them, so i'm a bit worried about the bass.

Jaferitis

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Shepherd
Originally Posted by Robert_J
I agree with Philip, Pyle is a pile.

Do you have source units already? I mean CD players, etc. While on the GC site, look at the DJ mixers. When we got one of those, it made DJing frat parties much more enjoyable. My first two years, I spent pre-recording the music on cassette. When they ran out, I would have to cue up additional cassettes and a few CD's (rare at the time). Now the mixing boards use USB connections to a PC and you can play all of your stored music.

I helped a friend out recently that is a competition BBQer to get his audio system going. He set up play lists on his iPod but wasn't satisfied. He couldn't pinpoint the issue until I came in and showed him the difference between a downloaded song at 96kbps and the same song in a lossless digital version. He now runs his music from a laptop with high res audio.

Finally, the sub that Philip links to blows your budget. It's a frat. Does someone have woodworking ability? You can DIY a quality horn sub for 1/2 the price of that Peavy sub and it will outperform it as well. BFM has some great designs. You just need to pick the one that fits your room size and goals. The Tuba 60 - http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T60.html will crush most commercial subs.
what we usually do is just run a cord (rca to aux, usually) from the receiver to a laptop, and someone just runs the music off the laptop using virtual dj.

what exactly do dj mixers do?

and i'm actually interested in the DIY subwoofer. i, along with a couple other brothers, am familiar with woodworking a bit, and it doesn't look like it's too complicated. how exactly does that work though? you build the enclosure and you buy the subwoofers and put them in the case?

and should i avoid buying the pyle set then?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't ventured into the land of horn loaded subs but I have no problems helping you design a conventional sub. Bill's sub designs are $15 each (bulk discounts apply) and each has a recommended driver. Most of the time the driver is under $200. Some use $35 drivers. This video uses a $50, 8" driver -

If you want to conventional sub then we start with a budget and goals. It can be as low as $100 (difficult to reach any goal) or into the thousands. On the high end, this pro driver http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-674 in the right cabinet and powered with the right amp would more than satisfy most.

How large is your "party room"? Our frat rented an old garage. Once we got rid of the junk, it was about 50 x 50 with a 15 foot steel roof. No neighbors so that helped. Even a small system like the Peavey will work except for the low end. You need some bass if you want to play some dance music.

Jaferitis

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Shepherd
the room is about 20'x15', with various other rooms on the floor being used for parties, but not focused on the sound. what would you advise doing? the music we play is pretty much all hip hop, so bass is important.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If bass is important, you need a sub and a good one. Besides the Tuba 60 I linked to earlier, the Titan 48 http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/T48.html is a viable candidate. Or you can go with one of his smaller subs and build multiples. The only drawback is that the smaller you go, the higher the cut-off frequency. The lowest playing of the bunch is the THT http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html which is designed for home theater use. It's still loud but will play the low notes in hip hop music with authority. The recommended driver is only $160 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-469 . $15 for the plans, 1/2" plywood is still priced at a good level and a decent amp under $200 from GC will get you started. If that isn't enough, then a second THT can be powered by the other channel of the amp. Based onthis video, you won't need a 2nd .

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Jaferitis said:
what we usually do is just run a cord (rca to aux, usually) from the receiver to a laptop, and someone just runs the music off the laptop using virtual dj.

what exactly do dj mixers do?

and i'm actually interested in the DIY subwoofer. i, along with a couple other brothers, am familiar with woodworking a bit, and it doesn't look like it's too complicated. how exactly does that work though? you build the enclosure and you buy the subwoofers and put them in the case?

and should i avoid buying the pyle set then?
You'll be albe to run the cord you're plugging into the receiver now directly into the PA head that you're buying, and you'll be able to mix vocals also using the included microphone, so your DJ will be able to talk between jams as well if that would be cool. (It would be). Also handy for announcements if you need that. You may want to pick up a (desktop) microphone stand.

I'd recommend avoiding Pyle. I have had such great experience with Peavey gear over the last 25+ years of playing in bands and beating up gear that I can recommend the brand without reservation. Their stuff is not the best or high end (for the most part), but it is extremely reliable and very loud. Their amps are always rated very conservatively - a 100 watt Peavey amp will usually be as loud as a 250 watt amp from one of the bottom feeder brands (Pyle, Behringer, etc.). Their speakers are similarly rated - if it says it takes 100 watts you won't blow it even running 200 watts into it. Can't recommend it highly enough. Also, they still have a large manufacturing presence in the USA - one of few companies left that do this.

DIYing a sub, if you can, is a GREAT idea. You'll want a sub for this kind of stuff. You'll need a very beefy power amp for the kind of sub that Robert is suggesting. Check your local craigslist - often there are good deals on models from Crown, Peavey, and others.

Since you don't have a sub now, don't make that a deal breaker. Just getting a proper PA set up in place will be a gigantic step up for you - you may be surprised at the bass that conventional PA speakers can provide. You can add the sub at any time.

Jaferitis

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Shepherd
yeah, after doing a quick google search on the pyle brand, i was very turned off by the reviews. the search results were favorable for peavey though. my main gripe right now is that it looks like with the amp provided, you can't use most other speakers with it; certainly not the speakers I already have. not that it's a big deal, but it'd render the speakers I already have (which are perfectly fine) useless.

for just about the same price, would it be best to go for the peavey PA system or a typical receiver+sub (and using the speakers I have)? before I read the 2 most recent posts, I was considering going with these

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+550W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Pass+Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9878219.p;jsessionid=85B181082F09525A2CF34807FC74F9BB.bbolsp-app06-28?id=1218187480810&skuId=9878219

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES250PCH-400-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B0016733YQ/ref=sr_1_11?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1295448763&sr=1-11 (or something along these lines)

5 channel receiver with a subwoofer pre out.

i do plan on eventually working on a DIY subwoofer, but since we're throwing a house party just next weekend, we need more of an immediate fix that will still last some time (at least a year).

EDIT: Just saw the deal Amazon made with livingsocial! They're doing a giftcard promotion, pay $10 to get a $20 gift card. About to rally up the fraternity to buy a gift card each, and this could potentially double the budget.

http://touch.livingsocial.com/deals/21336-20-amazon-com-gift-card.touch

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
What you need for party/dance situations is a pro style PA system. Running a "home" stereo loudly will not cut it.

You can set up the speakers and receiver you have now using the line out on the back of the PVi 4B (any similar model should have a line out) into one of the inputs on the receiver/speakers. You could run a long stereo cable and use it in another room or in the back of the room or something like that. Would be cool IMO.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm
What you need for party/dance situations is a pro style PA system. Running a "home" stereo loudly will not cut it.
We did this for the first two years I was in my frat and it is a band-aid at best. We blew my Pioneer speakers, another member's Klipsch Heresy's and they shot the tweeters in some DIY speakers. Home speakers can't take the constant, high wattage signals. I also found out that my receiver had been dropped a few times after it finally shorted out. The PA equipment is road gear made to take abuse.

The DIY horn subs I linked to are great. Get some engineering guys on them since they can follow the detailed instructions. Or you can just build or buy standard subs.

Out of curiosity, what school and what frat?

Jaferitis

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Shepherd
Binghamton University, Pi Delta Psi

I take it you mean you ran a home stereo system for the first two years?

EDIT: I just fully read Philip's last post. So I could connect the Peavey amp along with another receiver together (while using the receiver for the speakers I already have) and have everything running simultaneously? If that's the case, that really sounds like the ideal situation for me right now.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jaferitis
Binghamton University, Pi Delta Psi

I take it you mean you ran a home stereo system for the first two years?

EDIT: I just fully read Philip's last post. So I could connect the Peavey amp along with another receiver together (while using the receiver for the speakers I already have) and have everything running simultaneously? If that's the case, that really sounds like the ideal situation for me right now.
Yup. Would work like a charm.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, we ran a home stereo for the first two years I after our chapter was founded. It worked OK but fell short as the chapter grew and the party locations got larger. The Heresy's died during a jungle party that was held in a barn. The tweeters were fried during a homecoming parade. I can't remember when the Pioneer speakers died but I'm lucky to remember the when anything happened in college. I took full advantage of the fraternity/sorority system in college all the way to marrying a Sigma Sigma Sigma.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Given that you are going to use this sound system as a frat house party system.

One of the advantages of a PA or Disc Jockey type system is the fact that that all of the equipment comes in cases and stands that make it easy to transport and easy to secure in a locked room when not in use. It would also be easy to transport and set up in another location and would be much more durable than a home stereo system.

phialpha1856

Auditioning
Real Name
Danny Pockets
If anyone's still looking for speakers for a similar use in a fraternity house or other college partys, my fraternity recently picked up a couple of bluetooth tallboy systems from grade a speaker co. (gradeaspeaker.com) and we couldn't be happier with them. I believe they each peak at 2000 watts, have dual 15 inch subwoofers, and 4 piezo tweeters on top-- yes, they're loud as f*$k and nearly unbearable even in a big room or basement when used together.

A couple years back we had some peavey 215's powered by a 900w crown amp, but the collective fraternity's lack of knowledge on how to actually operate them safely (and not blow them every week) proved to be the speakers' killer. Before buying up the same concert speakers again as replacements and blowing another $1000+ we decided to find something that would not only last and be easy to use for everyone in the house but also meet the same audio requirements.

I heard about grade a speakers from a friend who saw them on tfm or something, but like i said they've been great and plenty loud. Plus, the integrated bluetooth feature is unlike anything we'd ever seen before in the area speaker / music stores or from peavey and jbl. I feel like we saved a good amount of money by buying online and the free shipping on what was a nearly 200 pound order was great too.

Good luck in your search!

http://GradeASpeaker.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks